Thunderbolt Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iGrainger, Sep 7, 2011.

1. iGrainger macrumors member

iGrainger

Hello,

Since buying my new iMac a few months ago, I had the idea that I would be able to get an adapter to allow me to be able to use it with an external screen, very much so like I can do with my MacBook.

Obviously, with the MacBook, you can get a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter, so that you can plug it in with the TV. I can't do that on my iMac. When do they plan to release an adapter for Thunderbolt?

I know that at the moment you can only use Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt devices. This is annoying. I don't plan on buying an Apple Cinema Display when I have perfectly good displays at home, but I cannot use them.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mav3067 macrumors member

You can use a mini displayport to vga/dvi/whatever to hook up your external monitor. I am using the Apple one on my 2011 MBP to connect to a philips 24".

3. enigma2k macrumors regular

You can use a "Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter" for your iMac as well.

4. iGrainger thread starter macrumors member

iGrainger

Humm.. I could of sworn (I'm not on my iMac right now) that there wasn't a Mini Display Port on it? Thus it wouldn't fit? Either that, or I wasn't looking properly?

5. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I am using one now on my 21.5" 2011 iMac, works great. I will link to the place I got it, monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

The nice thing is that I can set the audio to come out the HDMI, and then simply unplug it unless I want to use the TV screen, the audio automatically switches then. (After initially set it up, that is.)

One thing to keep in mind is that the HDMI adapter must be the last device, not an issue with the lack of thunderbolt accessories right now, but could be in the future if your mac only has one thunderbolt port.

(OWC just started selling an express card adapter, but Sonnet only included one thunderbolt port, and as far as I know no thunderbolt hubs exist. Therefore, you can't use both it and and the HDMI adapter at the same time.)

EDIT: Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with display port, so it's not an issue that you have thunderbolt.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Thunderbolt and Mini Display Port are the exact same plug, and Thunderbolt works with Mini Display Port devices.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

MDP and Thunderbolt use the same sized hole, and Apple made MDP devices work via the Thunderbolt port because of that.

8. iGrainger thread starter macrumors member

iGrainger

Well that's a bit stupid. I regret asking now! :) I tried to put it in last time, and it seemed to be too big for the plug. Odd. I'll have to give it another go in the morning.

----------

*Facepalms and walks away* Thanks.

9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

maybe you were hooking it up to the FW800 :p, the thunderbolt port is next to the ethernet one, there are two of them in the 27" model and one in the 21.5"

10. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

My 2007 macbook 2,1 did not use mini display port, it used mini DVI. At some point in the macbook line they changed to the mini display port, but I'm not sure when.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Thunderbolt is minidisplay port.
    It has 2 functions now instead of 1