Thunderbolt RAID setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mawyatt, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mawyatt macrumors member

I just received the LaCie 4TB Thunderbolt hard drive (dual 7200rpm Baracudda) and have it connected to the MBPr. Everything works and it's setup as RAID 0. If I get another LaCie 4TB Thunderbolt hard drive how do I setup for a RAID 0 with the first hard drive so the combo looks like a 8TB Thunderbolt RAID 0 drive?

Thanks in advance,

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Ask LaCie if one volume can span two of the enclosures which have their own enclosures. If that is possible....I would be very concerned that a RAID 0 volume spanning two enclosures is at risk if any individual drive or enclosure dies. For me that is too many non duplicated eggs in a non-duplicated baskets.

I run my LaCie 2Big 6TB as RAID 1 (3TB) and have a 3TB Time Capsule as backup.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

You can use Disk Utility to reconfigure the RAID-0 to span all 4 drive mechanisms, be aware that while performance will be great, any missing drive will break the RAID-0 array (4x drives), and you will not be able to access any of your data. Both 2big drives will need to be turned on and connected.

Fine for a high-performing scratch drive, but be sure to back up if data is precious.

You will want to really understand why you want to do this. Evaluate carefully what you will be using the drive for everyday.

4. mawyatt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments.

I am not sure I really want to do this RAID 0 between two enclosures. But I am thinking of getting another LaCie 4TB hard drive and using it for Time Machine backup although this is probabaly overkill. Later if I decided to get another type drive (USB3 or Firewire 800) for Time Machine I could use the LaCie as a big 8TB RAID 0 drive.

5. MCAsan, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

FW is a bit of a step backwards. It is not on retina MBPs or the new iMac. Sugest moving on to USB 3 or thunderbolt drives. You can move drives in FW enclosures to USB 3 enclosures. Also you can move the drives to a eSATA dock that does USB 3 or thunderbolt.

6. mawyatt thread starter macrumors member

The TBD has only USB2 ports, so I was thinking of using the 800 Firewire for the Time Machine hard drive if I don't get another LaCie 4TB RAID drive. LaCie has a 2TB drive that has USB3 and 800 Firewire that's reasonabley priced which I am considering. The FW would be better than the USB2 on the TBD, but agree it's not up to USB3. I could and do use the USB3 ports on the MBPr, but for the Time Machine drive I wanted it pullged into the TBD port.

Anyway these are good problems since everything seems to be working well together, the MBPr, TBD and LaCie TB RAID drive. Not so for me with PCs, which is why I switched to the Mac world!