Thunderbolt SDK

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfenwick, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jfenwick macrumors newbie

So Intel, how about that Thunderbolt SDK that was going to get released during Q2? Isn't Q2 already over?

Anyone have an idea of what would be a good skill set to acquire in preparation for when the SDK is released?

2. codymac macrumors 6502

Patience?
    :D

3. jfenwick, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

jfenwick thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just saying... they said it would come out in Q2 and I think that has passed already. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, I've also read that they may only release the SDK to companies who buy a Thunderbolt license. I can't find a transcript of the announcement of the Thunderbolt SDK at NAB so real facts are hard to come by.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Wasn't TB supposed to be an open(-ish) standard, meaning no licensing fees?

I think they should have learned from the meh performance of firewire (which required licensing to implement) versus the free USB, which became the dominant format.

Also, the continuing move away from proprietary DVI/HDMI in the computer space to the free and open Displayport standard shows you will have a hard time gaining any traction if you demand fees from manufacturers.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It is, there are no license fees. However, that doesn't mean that there is no license. Intel hasn't released any public datasheet, which suggests that it is only available for licensees at this point.