Thunderbolt SSD for 2011 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DrCheese, Nov 23, 2014.

1. DrCheese macrumors member

Hi guys,

My dad's 2011 imac only has a standard HDD, replacing it is more or less impossible as I'm really not a fan of taking apart the screen!
    It is horrifically slow to use in general day to day usage. My 2011 Macbook air is a trillion times faster due to the SSD.

Has anyone used a thunderbolt SSD as a boot drive? If so, Does anyone have any recommendations about which one to get?

Thank you :)

2. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have the same exact computer and ive been using a LaCie thunderbolt SSD as a boot drive for about 2 years now, I also use another one to boot games and other apps off of. Works great and its super fast!

It cost me about $199

3. DrCheese thread starter macrumors member

ahhh thank you :) I'll have a google around & see if I can pick up one :D

4. entropyfl macrumors regular

Is using a thunderbolt external SSD as a boot drive just as fast as having an internal SSD drive?

5. bassjunky macrumors regular

I've heard running it internally is faster, though I've been booting off an external SSD over Thunderbolt for a couple of weeks now and it flies, at least in comparison to the internal HDD. I've been getting about 380MB/s on my reads, 280+ on the writes.

That gets me thinking though, is that because maybe the internal SATA ports are running at 6Gb/s whereas my external drive is only at 3Gb/s? Guess I should check that out.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, if you're comparing it with an internal SATA3 SSD. A PCI-e SSD benchmarks a lot faster, but won't matter much in day to day usage.

----------

That's about normal for a single SSD. I get a bit more with mine, but it's probably a different make/model of SSD...

Why would your external drive only be 3Gbps? Is it an OWC 3g?

7. bassjunky macrumors regular

I believe the internal SATA connections on a mid-2011 iMac support a 6Gb link, though a PCI-e SSD would still be faster, but that's not an option for these models.

----------

I'm not positive it is 3Gbps, I'll have to double-check. I'm using the Transcend 256GB SSD Thunderbolt drive.

8. entropyfl macrumors regular

ok cool was just curious,

I bought the retina iMac but only went with 256SSD and was just thinking about future upgrades etc especially when SSD prices come down.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Then in your case, your internal SSD is going to benchmark as considerably faster than a regular SATA3 SSD in a thunderbolt enclosure, but won't matter much in day to day usage, so I've been led to believe.

Personally, I find my Retina runs a good deal zippier than the late-2012 iMac I had with the same RAM, but with a SATA SSD inside.. Might be the .6 GHz in extra clock speed tho :)

10. bassjunky macrumors regular

I stand corrected, my external SSD over Thunderbolt does have a 6Gbps link speed.

11. entropyfl macrumors regular

Good stuff! hopefully SSD externals will come down in price..... one can hope!