Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artcows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help...

When the new 21 inch iMacs came out in late 2012, I did not hesitate to scoop one up. Though I had initially planned to max it out with the better processor, an SSD, and 16GB ram, when the time came, it would take too long to ship, so I was a fool and bought the most basic configuration possible... Oh, the impatient stupidity... I know... :confused: I've been regretting those fateful minutes of impulse at the Apple Store for the past two years.

Anyway, now I'm at a point where this computer cannot quite handle multiple applications at once, and as I'm a photographer, having Photoshop and Lightroom open at once is a must. Not to mention that I won't even dare to attempt to open Safari, Messages, or Mail while working, and have succumbed to dealing with those on my phone given how much faster it is.

So I was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to an SSD, and as these new iMacs are quite difficult to modify internally (if any of you have done this and recommend it, then disregard the rest of the post) my idea was to buy the LaCie Rugged External Thunderbolt SSD (currently $299), and run my OS off of that.

The other option would be to sell this computer and use that money to pony up for a better, more future-proof set up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help...

When the new 21 inch iMacs came out in late 2012, I did not hesitate to scoop one up. Though I had initially planned to max it out with the better processor, an SSD, and 16GB ram, when the time came, it would take too long to ship, so I was a fool and bought the most basic configuration possible... Oh, the impatient stupidity... I know... :confused: I've been regretting those fateful minutes of impulse at the Apple Store for the past two years.

Anyway, now I'm at a point where this computer cannot quite handle multiple applications at once, and as I'm a photographer, having Photoshop and Lightroom open at once is a must. Not to mention that I won't even dare to attempt to open Safari, Messages, or Mail while working, and have succumbed to dealing with those on my phone given how much faster it is.

So I was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to an SSD, and as these new iMacs are quite difficult to modify internally (if any of you have done this and recommend it, then disregard the rest of the post) my idea was to buy the LaCie Rugged External Thunderbolt SSD (currently $299), and run my OS off of that.

The other option would be to sell this computer and use that money to pony up for a better, more future-proof set up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

sell it and buy a new one, but wait a bit longer as there have been rumours of a 5k display for the new iMacs in october... :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
...my idea was to buy the LaCie Rugged External Thunderbolt SSD (currently $299), and run my OS off of that.

That will work very nicely and a lot of users here run that way. The SSD would make the system much more responsive.

I would not just run the OS on there though. I would put the entire OS and all your apps and the user account there for max speeds. Then is if you don't have room on the SSD for all your data, you could just move individual large data folders over to the hard drive, like maybe the Pictures folder.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Sell now, it's student season so plenty of people want macs. Wait 4 weeks, I think the event is rumoured to be 29th October....5k resolution macs....

artcows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm really considering the thunderbolt SSD because if I were to sell my iMac, I just wouldn't know what to get to replace it, as I'd want something that would last me a long time and allow me to upgrade it easily... With that, Mac Pro comes to mind, but I just don't have that kind of $$. Any thoughts?

Looking around online, I could probably get $1000 for this iMac, but I would have to spend close to another grand to get something worthwhile, no? The Lacie SSD is $299.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm really considering the thunderbolt SSD because if I were to sell my iMac, I just wouldn't know what to get to replace it, as I'd want something that would last me a long time and allow me to upgrade it easily... With that, Mac Pro comes to mind, but I just don't have that kind of $$. Any thoughts?

Looking around online, I could probably get $1000 for this iMac, but I would have to spend close to another grand to get something worthwhile, no? The Lacie SSD is $299.

If your 2012 iMac is otherwise working well, with this SSD added I would think that will give you a nice, fast machine that would serve you for quite some time for a small amount of $$ outlay. I think your plan is sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.