Thunderbolt / ssd question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ri0ku, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

This might seem like a really stupid question (forgive me if it is)

Im going to buy my first iMac in january and can only afford to get one with a HDD built in but not the SSD.

If using a decent ssd and hooking it up to the thunderbolt port would the drive be useable as a system drive with Lion on and would run faster than the internal HDD?

2. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

If you have an SSD Thunderbolt storage device and using it a a boot from drive then it for sure wont be any slower than running an internal HDD.

3. dakhein macrumors member

I believe it will run faster than the internal. But, the only Thunderbolt drive out that I know of is the $450 Lacie one and I've heard it's rather loud. If you really want an SSD (I have one, so I know what you're missing), I'd wait and save to get what you really want rather than get a computer that you have to upgrade. Depending on your ability to save, it might get close enough to get the new Ivy Bridge iMacs instead of the 2011s.

4. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been using ssd's a long time. Thats why I wanted to ask. I am sort of dreading heading back to HDD's.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

All of my computers that I have purchased for personal use since 2008 have been with SSDs pre-installed... or I upgraded them to SSDs. The only exception is my late 2009 iMac. These include:

2007 Core2 Duo 30" HP Windows Desktop (upgraded to SSD in 2008)
    2007 15" MacBook Pro (upgraded to SSD in 2008, since decomissioned)
    2009 i7 27" iMac (HDD only)
    2009 Rev C 13" MBA (pre-installed SSD)
    2010 Rev D 11" MBA (pre-installed SSD)
    2011 Rev E 11" MBA (pre-installed SSD)

I have also bought two more 27" iMacs (2010 & 2011), but those were for family members, and I did not get them SSD options due to the expense. I feel I am being generous enough getting them 27" machines.

At this point, my plan is to replace my 2009 iMac when the '12 models are released. I will absolutely CTO them with the SSD option.

Of course, we still need HDDs for capacity... but I do not think I could ever buy a computer again (for my personal use) that does not use an SSD.

/Jim

6. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk is very loud with an annoying pitch. I decided to replace the dual 500GB Hitachi 72K5.5 drives with dual 240GB OCZ Vertex 3s and removing the fan since heat will not be an issue. Still waiting on one 240GB Vertex 3 (black Friday specials). So best of both worlds Thunderbolt with SSDs.