Thunderbolt SSD Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kisbys, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kisbys macrumors regular

Hey

Just wondering for some advice... I have a 3.4 iMac which is incredibly fast apart from the weak point of the hard drive being the standard 1tb affair... I was wondering if I could get some help...

I am not keen to spend £599 on a Thunderbolt drive for obvious reasons and equally not keen on ripping my machine apart to fit an internal drive and I came out with I think a cunning idea...

What I intend to do is... I have a thunderbolt cable and a Seagate GoFlex Desktop adaptor on the way....

So with the use of Blutac Putty... etc... for stability was thinking I can for about half the price make a thunderbolt drive... originally I was thinking a Crucial M4 512ssd...

Then I thought if I instead get a 256 then in a years time I can get the same set up again and RAID them together to make it faster and bigger and each year just slowly build it up...

That way I can spread out the massive cost and reduce it... As this is for a imac and I will have the drives on a shelf under a desk they will not be touched ever...

The big question I have is the M4 too good for the goflex and therefore should I go for something a little cheaper or would you guys advise something completely different...

Also whats the best software for moving the boot drive (I have all main storage on NAS) so only about 180gb which will become smaller later to the new drive...

Final question for next year and beyond what would you advise is the most stable way of taking the data off the storage RAIDing the new drive and putting it back on!!!!?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial m4 is pretty much the cheapest reliable SSD in the market, it's the one to get.

You can use e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner for cloning the internal drive to the SSD.

3. kisbys thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks have they fixed the pausing issue?

4. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Confirm first that there are no power/drop out/disconnect issues with the 512gb model. The Mac mini forum has an ongoing list of what drives work and which drives are flaky with the controller.