Thunderbolt storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elf69, Nov 2, 2016.

1. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I know thunderbolt has been replaced now.

Just a question.....

If they can make tiny tiny usb 3.0 flash drives....

Was there a reason apple or anyone else not make same thing for thunderbolt?

If they did would it have been any faster then USB 3.0?

Just curiosity...

2. chabig macrumors 601

I don't follow you. Thunderbolt has not been replaced. In fact the opposite is true. The new MacBook Pros released last week have either 2 or 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, depending on the model.

Can someone make a plug-in Thunderbolt flash drive? Probably, but it would probably also be so much more expensive as to not be competitive with the USB 3 drives. Also, I don't think it would necessarily be any faster, as data transfer to/from USB flash drives is limited by the flash memory technology, not the interface.

3. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Thumb drives and value SSDs are fine with USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps). Generally, you would need things beyond (3.1 Gen 2 or TB3) only if you need performance SSDs or even RAIDs.

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

The type of memory used in thumb drives would not be anywhere near TB speed, its it would be pointless and exceedingly expensive with zero increase in speed.

5. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68020

elf69

Thanks guys was just my curiosity.

As for post number 2 I thought the new macbooks only came with 2 or 4 usb type c?
    And that was one of the issues people have with it.

It has no native TB ports.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The two or four USB-C ports on the new MacBook Pros are native Thunderbolt (3) ports.

Thunderbolt changed from using the Mini DisplayPort connector in version 1 and 2 to using the USB-C connector in version 3.

7. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68020

elf69