Thunderbolt stuff ETA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac jones, May 28, 2011.

1. mac jones macrumors 68040

Thunderbolt where are you?

I'm just a bit curious what is taking the accessory makers so long. You would think there would be stuff already.

I mean, there's profit involved right?

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Haha, that's hilarious.

But seriously, where are they!? <_< >_>

3. Just "Vinnie" macrumors member

If you ask me TB is so new that many manufacturers are taking a "wait and see" stance. Don't blame 'em.

First guy out will either make or break the tech IMO.

My question is why isn't Apple the first ones doing this? The fact they don't have any TB adapters themselves is very telling.

4. gsxrq macrumors member

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You'll probably start seeing things in late august / early fall, and if things to the way Apple would like them too you'll see them everywhere by holiday season.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    seagate are releasing a go-flex adapter for their go-flex portable hdd

i already have the usb3 and fw800 - wonder how much much speed a TB adapter on a 5200 rpm drive

eventually - when i, back from my trek in tibet ill cop a 240gb sandforce 6 drive, and use a TB enclosure for my current owc 120 3gb/s ssd

7. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Have you had trouble with the FW800 adapter overheating?

8. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Intel is releasing the Thunderbolt dev kit this quarter. We'll probably start seeing more Thunderbolt-complaint devices once it is out.

9. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

What I'm really excited about is thunderbolt smart hubs, with (possibly) being able to connect USB devices to it as well.

How awesome would it be to be able to run HDs, sound cards, two external monitors, and a mouse and keyboard all with one thunderbolt port and a hub? And 10GB/s up and down? i'm droooolin

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    before my optibay mod i did have most my music, media and other files on external hdd via fw800 and it did overheat if left on - even if i unmount the drive the adapter can get quite hot

this has been far les of an issue o my 2011 17"mbp compared to my 2010 mbp
    probably since i do not leave the seagate drive in as long

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I too am looking forward to an external TB HD Enclosure.

I *hate* USB 2.x and I tolerate FW 800. I move some pretty big files around (TIFF Images and VMs that range in size from 1/2 Gig to 100 Gig) and I am tired of waiting around for stuff to copy.

While FW800 is a bit pokey in 2011, I don't know how anybody puts up with USB 2.x for large file copying. USB3 is nice but it has some bandwidth issues that I hope TB does not suffer from.

I would love to see TB become more of a standard than FW but I'm not holding my breath. A great more vendors need to support TB or its going to be the faster-but-outcasted standard that FW ended up being.

It's also a shame that Apple never supported eSata since it would have been trivial to add all these years.

I have money in hand so hurry up TB developers! :)

My wish device is an external HD with TB (obviously) but also USB (minimal), eSate (nice), and FW800 (great). This would allow me to bounce the thing from a number of different machines (old and new, PC and Mac) without finding a go-between-device to handle it all...

-P