ThunderBolt SuperDrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Undo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Undo macrumors member

I expected the BTO SuperDrive for the new Airs to have ThunderBolt, but they show as USB. Are the SuperDrives expected to have ThunderBolt in the near future, or do I not know what I'm talking about?!?

2. simsaladimbamba

As slim DVD writers like the SuperDrive write very slowly, USB 2.0 will suffice. TB will not have an effect on burn speeds when using a SuperDrive then.

3. Undo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. What about for DVD read? Would ThunderBolt have any advantage for playing movies?

4. simsaladimbamba

No, as most movies for entertainment and consummation are compressed and often have data rates of 1MB/s and less. USB 2.0 will be more than enough for that.
    Even when playing Blu Rays with their 4+ MB/s USB 2.0 will suffice.

TB is for fast data transfer like 10s of GBs and more or like transferring data to an external display.
    Current mainstream optical media is slow.

5. Undo thread starter macrumors member

6. jrirvine macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt Superdrive

For me I'm looking for a thunderbolt Superdrive, not for the speed, but so I can connect it to some other TB device and not have to use up an available USB port for just a Superdrive

7. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Not going to happen, sorry. If you need more USB ports, may I suggest either a USB hub or a Thunderbolt dock.

8. jrirvine macrumors newbie

Mac usb hub

Do you know of a super high quality USB Hub that actually works well? Most of them I've tried so far are cheap and many USB devices are cranky on them. Especially when I'm using an iMac as a POS station and have cash drawer, receipt printer, regular printer, barcode scanner, magnetic card swipe, and then to use a USB thumb drive now and then on it....Wait! How many USB ports are on an iMac? Not enough for a Point of Sale. I'd spend the money if apple would make their own powered USB hub for IMac's, Books, Or Pro computers, with plenty of well spaced out ports in matching metal alloy cases. Nothing is worse than connecting a cheap plastic thingy to my Mac and having most items on the hub simply not respond, but work fine when plugged into the iMac directly. If more items could be chained together with TB ports it would be a dream.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I doubt we'll ever see a thunderbolt-based optical writer, i.e., DVD/CD, BluRay, etc.

Isn't going to happen.

USB 3.1? Perhaps.

Thunderbolt? No.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Technically, there is no point in fast interface for a media, that by definition is capped at 60Mbit/s (the BD3D format, all the older disk-based media is lower than that). That is just 1/4th of USB2.0 capabilities. Where's the point?