Thunderbolt to DVI adapter not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hasteveha, Aug 17, 2011.

1. hasteveha macrumors member

After a fresh install of lion on my late 13' 2010 macbook air, and 2011 macbook air, my Thunderbold/mini displayport to DVI adapter no longer works. When I plug the adapter into the MBA, the screen flashes for a second like it has detected the External LCD, but the Monitor stays in standby. I've clicked detect new monitor, and it still won't work. My thunderbolt to hdmi adapter works fine.

Anyone have this issue?

2. CrookedArm macrumors newbie

worked it out

I struggled with this same issue for about an hour trying to get a 2011 MBP and a 24" Dell monitor to play nice. The strange sequence of events up to the moment it started working is this:

With the adapter and DVI cable plugged into the MPB the whole time:

I switched off the Dell monitor then unplugged the DVI cable from it.
    I plugged the cable into an old Samsung monitor I have.
    The moment I turned the Samsung on, it displayed the MBP desktop.
    I removed the cable from the Samsung, plugged it into the (powered down) Dell.
    The MBP's screen switched to it's two screen setup, indicating it detected an external connection.
    Finally, I turned the Dell monitor back on. It displayed a Dell logo briefly (something it does not normally do), then displayed my desktop just as I had expected it to all along.

Smarter people than I might be able to explain why this worked, but I suspect that the combination of unplugging the cable from the monitor and re-attaching it while still powered off caused something to reset and play nicely with the MBP.

I hope you'll be able to solve your problem with some futzing and not need to buy different cables/adapters.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Happened to me once. A reboot fixed it. Hopefully one of the two TB updates in the last two days fixed the issue for good.