Thunderbolt to Ethernet Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drober30, Sep 27, 2012.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

My workplace does not have WiFi right now so I must cable up my Macbook Pro.

I'm using the thunderbolt to Ethernet on my Retina Mackbook pro but when I unplug my Ethernet cable in my office and relocate to the conference room and plug in another Ethernet cable, the connection is never recognized. I must reboot before it will work.

Is anybody familiar with this issue?

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I haven't had any problems!

3. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, thats important to know. Before I drive myself crazy troubelshooting, I always check in to see if its a known issue.

4. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

I adore that kind of answers: "I haven't had any problems!".
    Very helpful.

I had ecxatly the same problem with MacBook Pro 13" mid2010 2.4GHz, and problem persisted through 10.6 and 10.7. Then I switched to same but faster MBP, 2.66, and I never had same problem again. Point is that is either firmware of hardware issue. That is my conclusion from what I experienced.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

So you don't like a user's positive comment, but your experiences with a non-thunderbolt computer are somehow relevant to the thunderbolt issue here?

6. dyn macrumors 68030

When relocating, do you keep the TB-GbE adapter plugged in (thus really only removing the ethernet cable and not the adapter as well)?

Not recognising the connection is something that needs some further explaining: do you mean you get no ip settings (only something like 169.254.x.x) or do you mean the network card isn't recognised any more?

7. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Thanks for sharing. Boy -- so much more helpful than my comment!

8. nonameguy macrumors newbie

I have the identical problem... with the same HW. Was there a solution to the problem?