Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Miles.Kelly97, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Miles.Kelly97 macrumors newbie

Hello All

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable? I have loads of adapters lying around but i was wondering if there is just a cable that does it and cuts out the adapter.

Thanks

Miles K

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Unfortunately not, you'll still need an adapter. There isn't an actual cable that has Ethernet on one end and Thunderbolt on the other.

3. Miles.Kelly97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh that's a shame it would have been very useful. Thanks a lot :)

4. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

More useful than the official Apple adapter linked above + $1 Cat 6 cable?

5. Miles.Kelly97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it would cut out the adapter as i am finding that they are going missing a lot at work, so if they were at either end of a cable you would have to go under the desk to "borrow" them which people wouldn't do

6. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

The adapter would go missing, or the Cat6 cable goes missing? Just keep them jointed together! Hell, but some tape around the connection so people wouldn't be tempted to pull the Cat5 cable apart from the adapter.

7. Miles.Kelly97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah people just sort of run to a meeting and take the adapter with them and then they take it home or leave it in the bag at the end of the day and forgot they have it. I have resorted to using zip locks to hold them together in places such as our conference room. It is just not ideal to have to zip lock them all together!!

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

One possible solution that I have seen: Last company that I worked for had a travel kit, with a variety of stuff. Common VGA adapter, spare magsafe adapter, USB to ethernet. There was a couple of other items - screen cleaner, something else related, could have been an ethernet patch cable. Most of what anyone might need for a setup, all in a soft bag like a man's shaving kit. I think they had two kits made up, and just sat on shelf in the same room where they could sign out a laptop when needed. They kept similar kits for Windows laptops, as they used both.

9. thisismyusername macrumors member

Your company puts these adapters in the conference rooms for all to use? We don't do that for the exact reason you mention... they tend to walk away. Instead, people use wireless to get on the network. For things like projectors, we started running HDMI in addition to VGA so we wouldn't need the adapters in order to connect our MBPs. If someone still needs an adapter, they get their own that they keep (either from IT or buy it themselves and expense it). It's then their job to make sure they don't loose it. If they need it in the conference room, they then provide their own.