Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TitanVex, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TitanVex macrumors newbie

I would like to buy a recorder that records HDMI. However, the one I am looking out only has HDMI In, HDMI Out, and Thunderbolt. My Macbook Pro does not have a Thunderbolt port, so is there anyway to convert the Thunderbolt to a Firewire 800 port? I realize it would only work as fast as the Firewire. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    -TitanVex

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No such adapters exist and quite frankly I don't expect them to ever make one either.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    errr.... wrong!!!

see here and here

all we need is a TB >> USB3

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wrong way. That turns a Thunderbolt port into a Firewire port. It does not allow you to connect a Thunderbolt peripheral to a Firewire port. I have not heard of anything that will let you do that.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your correct

seems like a goofy adapter, if you have a thunderbolt port than surely your mac has a firewire port, i guess some people want 2 firewire and dont need the thunderbolt

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't forget the MacBook Air.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Once PCs start shipping with Thunderbolt they might sell a few: some of those won't have Firewire. Also the Macbook Air...

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good points

9. TitanVex thread starter macrumors newbie

Couldn't you connect a Firewire Cable to that? Out from that and then into your computer? Or would that not work...?
    -TitanVex

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It is not a two-way thing: the Thunderbolt end must be connected to a computer.

11. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

As has been mentioned, there is no such adapter and probably never will, but I may know just what you're looking for. Take a look: http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc-hd50

I visited a broadcast studio last year (they were giving students a free tour) and they had, among other cool stuff, a pair of these ADVC-HD50 units in use. Technically, since HDMI and HDV* are two separate standards and codecs, the converter you are looking for is not merely an adapter but an active unit with conversion chips that essentially translates the signal to something you can use. This is a one of a kind unit, so the premium you have to pay for it is well within reason (HDMI to HDV is an expensive conversion option anyway).

*HDV stands for High Definition Video. It is typically transported over DV cassette tape. Until 2009, before the advent of good quality AVCHD camcorders, high-end DV camcorders used HDV to compress a higher quality image in a MPEG-2 container to be stored on DV cassette. Since this was more of an afterthought with HD support not taken into consideration when the DV cassette format was developed, there are a few limitations to the ways an HD picture can be stored with HDV. In layman's terms, the maximum picture resolution for HDV video is 1080x1440 at 60 frames per second. You read that right, it is not 1080x1920. The Grass Valley converter takes this into consideration, so there will be some loss of visual quality, but it's currently the only way to record HDMI over FireWire in a standalone unit.

If you're interested in other options, I know plenty. Let me know.
    ~Yousif

12. TitanVex thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so if there is nothing like that, can I get the lower end model that runs out of a USB 3.0 Port? I heard that the connection is the same as the USB 2.0 Port...so wouldn't that work on my Macbook Pro? It would just run as fast as the 2.0 could handle, right?
    -TitanVex

13. twocircles macrumors newbie

14. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

What about a display port to HDMI out adapter?

15. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Only if the device itself is backwards compatible, which I suspect is NOT the case since recording a video fees via hdmi requires much more throughput than USB 2.0 can handle. Hence the steep requirements on computer connections usable.

16. kat777 macrumors newbie

Belkin Adapter Release Spring 2012

Looks like Belkin has an adapter from Thunderbolt to Firewire, USB3(USB2) and extra Thunderbolt port.
    Looks promising.I think we should start seeing more companies jumping on the Thunderbolt band wagon as this technology is owned by Intel and not Apple.
    Seagate has also said that they are close to releasing a new Thunderbolt adapter for GoFlex line of drives.

http://www.belkin.com/pressRoom/releases/uploads/Thunderbolt_092011.html

http://storageeffect.media.seagate....ex-to-adapt-to-apples-thunderbolt-technology/

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Are you sure that it's USB3? It's just that I've been looking everywhere for more info on that device because it would be perfect for me if it were USB3 and not 2. I have to admit that a TB enabled USB2 hub would be quite stupid but then again, I assumed that they would want to boast about additional support if it was there.