Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor using Apogee Duet interface

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloudig, May 29, 2013.

1. cloudig macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I'm thinking of picking up a rMBP soon, hoping for a refresh in June/July of course! Anyway my questions are regarding the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor:

Does it work well? I have read (online) about it being slightly awkward and that it falls out quite easily which could damage the firewire ports on cameras while they are on and connected etc.. is this true? Could this also be a problem with an audio interface?

I will be mainly using this with my current audio interface - the Apogee Duet and wonder if any quality of the signal will be lost by using this converter? Has anyone had experience specifically with the Duet 1?

My other option is to sell my Duet 1 and replace it with a Duet 2 which uses USB but I am not in favor of this as I LOVE the sound of my Duet 1 and dont really want to have to fork out any more money on another interface (lets face it a maxed out rMBP will make a pretty big dent in my bankroll!)

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

:apple: :) :apple: :D

2. MaskAndWig macrumors member

I'm in a similar boat. It's time to upgrade my computer, and with newer Mac models dropping Firewire, I'm concerned about being able to use my Apogee Duet 1 with a FW-TB adapter. Apogee's website says it should work, but before I fork out the money for an adapter, I wonder if anyone here has tried it? I've heard bad things about using FW-TB adapters for high-performance bus-powered devices.