Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Cincy
I've been looking for a way to drive a 40" 4k TV (e.g. Samsung JU7500) as an external monitor for a 2014 rMBP. I know that I can use the included HDMI connector to get 4k @ 30Hz and 4:4:4. But I'd like to drive it at 60Hz. I've seen claims that the signal on the Thunderbolt port can provide 60Hz, but that would limit me to 4K TVs that have DisplayPort inputs, unless I can find a Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.0 adapter. Has anyone seen such a thing?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Most TB docks have HDMI out, but I believe the rate is driven by the Mac's video card capability, not the interface.

TWB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Cincy
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Accell Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter is vaporware.

There are certainly a lot of Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 adapters out there, most of which obfuscate their capabilities by calling the output "4K HDMI", which isn't even a spec, but means 4K at 30 Hz. Apple itself is guilty of the "4K HDMI" obfuscation.

As for the Thunderbolt docks, it's the same story. HDMI specs for some TB docks:
OWC Thunderbolt2 Dock (HDMI 1.4b)
Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock (HDMI 1.4b)
Kanex Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock (HDMI 1.4b)

Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express HD Dock (no spec for HDMI port)
StarTech Thunderbolt 2 4K Dock (no spec for HDMI port)
IOGear Thunderbolt 2 Dock (no spec for HDMI port)

Sonnet Echo 15+ Thunderbolt 2 Dock (no HDMI port)
AKiTiO Thunder2 Dock (no HDMI port)
What am I missing here - am I the only guy who wants to use a 4K TV as a monitor?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I guess so. I use a Dell 4K monitor as a monitor. No TV I know about does AdobeRGB colorspace. For me work and play requirements on a screen are very different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.