Thunderbolt to HDMI with audio tutorial

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Nov 7, 2012.

1. markus843 macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I want to first off clarify that this post is not a question, it is a tutorial-like thread on how to connect a macbook to an HD tv with a Mini dp to HDMI cable.

There are 2 choices, the male to female adapter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Premium-Mini...eo_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20bd114e0d&_uhb=1

Or the Mini dp to Hdmi both male: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6FT-Feet-1-8...ers&hash=item27ca04fc0e&_uhb=1#ht_7799wt_1189

If you're buying a different one, make sure it says that it supports audio. Quite a bit of them don't support audio so you have to make sure.

Once you order/receive the cable(s), It's kind of obvious to just plug them in. But before you actually get audio on your tv (I had to do this for 2 seperate macs),
    The tutorial/main point of this thread:
    Go to System Preferences --> Accessibility --> Audio --> Open Sound preferences --> Output --> And choose the hdmi option.

Here, enjoy some pictures ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you think this thread needs to be removed, just say so...

:apple::apple::apple:

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My technologically inept mother figured this one out by herself... Why do we need an entire thread devoted to it?

3. markus843, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Pro tip: Hold down the option button and click on the 'speaker' (volume output) button (next to the date/time) in the top menu bar --> Select appropriate output device

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

I bought a cheap adapter from monoprice that for some reason does not support audio, another adapter does. Does anyone know what allows for Audio support?

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

My monoprice adapter supports audio. When'd you get it? What kinda Mac do you have?

7. De5, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

De5 macrumors member

8. Ploki macrumors 68010

Oh my god I love you. :D

I'm comfortable doing all kinds of aggregate devices and matching sampling rates, but I didn't know this. Always Audio/MIDI setup. Not to mention option-clicking the WiFi to get transmit rate... But this?! Never occurred to me.

Brilliant. Thank you.