Thunderbolt to HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiMiN, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MiMiN macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I want to connect my MBP to my TV as maybe a secondary display. I was wondering what the best Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cables there were out there?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

The MDP to HMDI adapter supporting audio over HDMI from Monoprice and Moshi are very well accepted, but I don't know the best one, as that is quite subjective.
    from
    Also know, that a TV is not an ideal computer display except for video or photos. Text might be quite blurry depending on the size of the TV and its resolution, as proper computer displays with 1920 x 1200/1080 pixel are between 22" and 24", while TVs having that resolution are often more than 30"/35".

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I've been very happy with the one from Monoprice. IIRC several existing threads discuss them. Haven't used others so I can't compare for the OP. OP should clarify criteria for best given its highly subjective nature.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

6. BigSaintDogs macrumors member

Mini Display port to HDMI Cable

I bought the 10' mini display cable to HDMI at Best buy (I was on the road) and use it to connect to Hotel room TVs. It works great. I use it to display Video steaming while I work on my MBA.

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

If you get the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter it just depends on your hdmi cable. I have bought everything from $5 hdmi to $50 hdmi cables and never seen a difference. But heres some info on hdmi:

what is hdmi

Basically now days all your hdmi's are 1.4 or 1.4a

As far as the adapter, I would just get the apple one. It seems like the knockoffs either work or they don't, so its trial and error.

the cable I will be trying:

no adapter TB to hdmi cable

Personally I hate the adapters, but I guess they have less of a fail rate than these cables. After reading reviews it seems like a buyer beware product. Some people love it and others curse the sellers/makers up and down.

I'm sure you can search many other places than amazon but as far as quality I don't see any of these all in one cables being that great, or very reliable. I am willing to take that chance because it is fairly cheap. If it doesn't work then I will go the adapter route, with a decent hdmi cable... and by decent I mean build quality and cable strength. Like Monster, who makes a good $25 hdmi cable.

let us know what you decide to do.

8. kralnor johnson macrumors newbie

You won't notice a difference between $5 and $50 cables because HDMI is digital... it either works, or it doesn't. If it connects properly, you're going to get the best picture possible given your equipment. If it doesn't, you're getting a blank screen. That being said, you want it to work, so spending a bit more money isn't necessarily foolish if it is for build quality rather than some Monster Cable marketing BS about gold plated connectors or co2 gas proctection from frequency interference.

Follow the above advice and read customer ratings of the product you are considering, that is honestly the best way to pick.

9. simsaladimbamba

Why go through all the trouble registering here for one post in a thread, where the Original Poster (OP) probably already found a solution a month before your post?

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I personally love it and have a cable like that, been working for over 1year now without any issues.

11. -Maxim- macrumors member

12. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

is there an Apple branded one for thunderbolt to hdmi adapter yet?

13. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

so you can spend more money?

Get a monoprice one.. works just fine.. be sure to double check it passes audio.

14. simsaladimbamba

No, there is not.

15. carestudio macrumors 6502

Apple does release TBT-to-HDMI adapter, it's the best in my opinion.