Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsme932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
I have an HTC Thunderbolt at the moment and absolutely hate the phone. It is a horrible excuse for a phone.

One of my many problems is the horrible battery life. I have a huge "hump" on the back of it because I have an extended battery, causing the phone to feel like a brick.

I know it's going to vary for everyone and what not, but what is your typical battery life like on an iPhone?

I send about 200 texts a day or so on my Thunderbolt (when I actually get the messages on my phone). I try to check Facebook (when I actually have connection). I'd love to be able to play games and listen to music too.

What do you guys think? Would I get through the day on one charge? The phone is ridiculously useless, and I intend on letting Verizon know that.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
200 texts a day??? :eek:

Most modern smartphones, when being used like that, especially when receiving facebook updates, tweets, emails, etc. rarely last a day.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
200 texts a day??? :eek:

Most modern smartphones, when being used like that, especially when receiving facebook updates, tweets, emails, etc. rarely last a day.

200 texts a day isn't that many. I just keep my brightness settings on low and disable the Wifi when not in use. It should still last you a good seven hours unless you're constantly surfing the web/streaming.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
200 texts a day isn't that many. I just keep my brightness settings on low and disable the Wifi when not in use. It should still last you a good seven hours unless you're constantly surfing the web/streaming.

It should last 14 to 16 hours... but then again, I'd rather have a streamlined OS and good battery life than a 4ghz quad core with 5" screen like the mobile world seems to be headed. :D

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

It should be clarified that 7 hours in iPhone talk does not mean turn it on at 8AM and its dead at 3PM.

7 Hours of Usage is what hes referring to. So if in an hour you pick up the phone, send 5 texts, read an email, and talk for 5 minutes, you have about 8 minutes usage, 52 minutes standby.

7 Hours of usage is probably 18-25 hours of the phone being on.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I have an HTC Thunderbolt at the moment and absolutely hate the phone. It is a horrible excuse for a phone.

One of my many problems is the horrible battery life. I have a huge "hump" on the back of it because I have an extended battery, causing the phone to feel like a brick.

I know it's going to vary for everyone and what not, but what is your typical battery life like on an iPhone?

I send about 200 texts a day or so on my Thunderbolt (when I actually get the messages on my phone). I try to check Facebook (when I actually have connection). I'd love to be able to play games and listen to music too.

What do you guys think? Would I get through the day on one charge? The phone is ridiculously useless, and I intend on letting Verizon know that.

Wow your issues sound worse than mine. I had issues with the battery too and some weird reboots. Rooting helped. Even though i loved the LTE speeds and screen size it felt like a tank. I'm back to iOS for my communication needs.

itsme932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Sorry, I send about 100 a day and receive the same amount. So the 200 was combined sent/received.

When you say it should last 7 or 8 hours, is that 7 or 8 hours of use or 7-8 hours just in my pocket. My Thunderbolt dies just sitting in my pocket in 6 hours without the extended battery.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification above.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Just sitting in your pocket in an area with good cellular reception should last you about 200 hours or a few days.

itsme932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Wow your issues sound worse than mine. I had issues with the battery too and some weird reboots. Rooting helped. Even though i loved the LTE speeds and screen size it felt like a tank. I'm back to iOS for my communication needs.

I can't even use the LTE speeds without being attached to a charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.