Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
Mini-DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cable definitely won't work - it has to be a Thunderbolt-Thunderbolt connection using a Thunderbolt cable. Unfortunately, those don't exist yet.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The MDP to MDP cable should work just fine.

tanker5

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
I received this in an email from apple tech support

In reference to compatibility compatibility:

"I believe we spoke yesterday concerning the new iMac and “target display mode”. I just got some clarification concerning that issue. “Target display mode” will only work when both devices are thunderbolt compatible and a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable is used. The mini display to mini display cable will not allow this functionality when two devices using thunderbolt are being connected to one another."

In response to both 21.5 and 27" target display mode compatibility and thunderbolt cable availability:

"It is my understanding that both the 21.5 and 27” iMacs will support target display mode with the thunderbolt cable. As for when the cable might be available, I still do not have a clear answer on that. The response that I get just states that they are not available yet but no indication as to when that might change."

This farther confirms the macworld claim that TDM will be available via TB on both models.

nurv2600

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
MDP to MDP = No Good

The MDP to MDP cable should work just fine.

Unfortunately, I can confirm that they don't. I just tried to run 2 different MDP cables between my 15" MPB 2011 and a 13" MBP 2011, no go. Nothing detected on either end, the 13" in target mode still displays both icons (when you connect FireWire it only shows the FW icon, so I'm assuming it should only show the Thunderbolt icon if that's connected), and in my 15"s System Profiler, Thunderbolt displays "no devices connected". Oh well, gotta wait for the real deal (so much for ALL devices and cables being compatible!)

thisisanacc

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
The cut off action by Apple to replace MDP with Thunderbolt bothers many people I think.

Even Apple does not sell thunderbolt to thunderbolt cables, does it?

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Unfortunately, I can confirm that they don't. I just tried to run 2 different MDP cables between my 15" MPB 2011 and a 13" MBP 2011, no go. Nothing detected on either end, the 13" in target mode still displays both icons (when you connect FireWire it only shows the FW icon, so I'm assuming it should only show the Thunderbolt icon if that's connected), and in my 15"s System Profiler, Thunderbolt displays "no devices connected". Oh well, gotta wait for the real deal (so much for ALL devices and cables being compatible!)

I'm pretty sure Target Display Mode (on the receiving end) is only supported on the iMacs, not the MBPs. According to Apple, even then you will need a Thunderbolt cable. MDP cables won't work for Target Display Mode.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I'm about to buy a 27" iMac and it sucks that I can't test this feature out for lack of a $10 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.