Thunderbolt to USB 3.0

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pomme4moi, Nov 1, 2013.

1. pomme4moi macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2010
    I have a G-Tech 4TB G-RAID Thunderbolt drive. It is connected from one of the Thunderbolt ports on my iMac to one of the two Thunderbolt ports on the G-RAID drive. All works well. I want to daisy-chain the G-RAID to a LaCie USB 3.0 drive (i.e., connect a cable from the second Thunderbolt port on the G-RAID drive to the USB 3.0 port on the LaCie drive). So I need a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 cable. Does such a cable or adapter exist? I do not want to buy a dock. Thx
  2. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2012
  3. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Oct 22, 2009
    I'm in a similar situation. I've got goflex drives so I could swap the adapters to the FW800 version then get a thunderbolt to FW adapter to plug into the G-Raid, but USB3 Would be a lot cheaper I the long run.

There is a proposed adapter from Kanex, they are asking people to vote on which one they prefer.

Either version would suit me, I just want the USB.
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Think of the price of multiple GoFlex adapters versus a Thunderbolt dock. I think you'll find it better to just buy a Thunderbolt dock.
  5. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Oct 22, 2009
    I try and get them used on eBay, but they are not common items. I already have a couple of usb3 goflex's so a TB Dock/usb3 adapter would be the better option.
  6. dr3w a macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2013
  7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    I don't recommend this one, because the USB 3.0 ports in the Belkin dock can only provide 2.5Gb/s (half the 5Gb/s standard of USB 3.0)

Go for the Caldigit Thunderbolt station, that one has USB 3.0 ports that give the full 5.0Gb/s bandwidth.