Thunderbolt to USB 3 connector

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Entertainer, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Entertainer macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 imac and an external USB 3.0 HD port for cloning drives and whatnot. I've been looking for a connector between the iMac's Thunderbolt ports to the USB 3.0 Port forever. I can't find one.

Any ideas?

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

Belkin Thunderbolt dock. Use it at my office everyday so I only need to plug in power and 1 cable and can drive all my external devices/monitors.

3. Entertainer thread starter macrumors newbie

Not bad :cool:

Considering I have 2 external Firewire drives which I can daisy chain with this, since I'll be using the firewire port on the imac for my audio interface (Which I do not want to daisy chain with anything).

Thank you

----------

The thing that worries me is it says it's made for the Macbook Pro/Air. I'm thinking it will work with the iMac, but it's strange that they would limit their marketing to these laptops only.

4. boch82 macrumors 6502

I don't see why it wouldn't work in the iMac. It's marketed for the laptops since the new ones don't have many ports. (No built in Ethernet, FireWire) just 2 thunderbolt ports and 2 USB.

Might want to repost in the Mac Periferals section and see if anyone else uses it on the iMac.

5. Bear macrumors G3

If you go to Belkin Thunderbolt™ Express Dock and click on the "Features" tab, it says:
    Code:
    System Requirements

- Thunderbolt enabled Mac computer (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and iMac)
        - Mac OS X v10.8.4 or higher

Note: Does not support tablet and iPad charging
    So yes, the iMac is supported.

Pretty much this.

6. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

I have had disappointing results with the dock in my setup. I have a Seagate GoFles Desk USB3.0 hard drive which I connect to the dock. It doesn't always get detected when I plug it into the dock but will surely spin up when connected directly to my iMac. (The USB ports not being powered or having enough power might have something to do with this).

This also caused issues with the drive waking up or being readable after my iMac wakes up from sleep which has resulted in the drive getting corrupted. :(

I am very disappointed with this setup and would not recommend to anyone.