Thunderbolt to usb-c cable

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shamus99, Apr 21, 2019.

1. shamus99 macrumors regular

Hey... I have a 2012 mac mini and would like to take use of the Thunderbolt input to connect my new ipad pro. Will that even work? Thanks in advance...

2. chrfr macrumors 604

You should just use a USB-A to USB-C cable. Trying to use Thunderbolt for this doesn’t add any speed or other benefits.

3. shamus99 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks... not looking for speed. Just trying to use an empty spot. Will it work?

4. chrfr macrumors 604

You’d need to get a Thunderbolt hub/dock and then connect the iPad to that via USB, which would cost hundreds. If you’re short on USB ports just get an inexpensive USB hub and connect the iPad to that using the aforementioned USB cable.
    The iPad is not a Thunderbolt device so it cannot use Thunderbolt ports directly.

5. killawat macrumors 65816

This will not work as a straight through connection, of course the iPad does not have thunderbolt I/O. There are several thunderbolt to USB adapters available, but they are fairly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunderbolt-eSATA-plus-Adapter/dp/B00LOLBBQQ

as always eBay may yield some results.

6. shamus99 thread starter macrumors regular

7. dwig macrumors 6502a

That won't work with a 2012 Mac Mini, period. The "Thunderbolt" port on that model is TB2 and uses the same connector as mini-DisplayPort. Only the newer TB3 uses the USB-C connector.

8. chrfr macrumors 604

That cable will work fine with the iPad Pro and the 2012 Mac Mini.
    Thunderbolt is irrelevant with the iPad Pro. The USB-A end goes in the Mac Mini, and the USB-C end goes in the iPad.

9. dwig macrumors 6502a

The USB-A end will not fit the TB port on the mini, which is where the OP wants to connect.

10. chrfr macrumors 604

Yes. In my post you quoted, you removed the part where I mentioned it was not worthwhile to use Thunderbolt, and then later in the thread I suggested a USB hub.