thunderbolt to usb-c for macbook pro 2011 17" usb 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getheo, Jun 28, 2016.

1. getheo macrumors member

getheo

Hello. I have a macbook pro 2011 17" and I would like to do it usb 3.0 compatible. I know that I can do it with expresscard 34 but there are problems with this approach.
    So, I see this cable http://www.kanex.com/tblt3-cables-20g which is thunderbolt to usb-c and I would like to ask if it is possible with this cable and an adapter usb-c to usb 3.0, to have usb 3 port to my macbook. Thanks.

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

As far as I can see, what you posted is just a pure Thunderbolt 3 cable. That won't get you anywhere.
    The adaptor posted above by DavidLynch will do what you want.

4. treekram macrumors 6502a

The 2011 MBP has Thunderbolt 1, which uses the DisplayPort connector. The cable in the product link is Thunderbolt 3, which uses the USB-C connector. So it won't work because it won't connect to the 2011 MBP and because it's meant for the Thunderbolt, not the USB 3.1 protocol.

5. Botts85 macrumors member

Botts85

Either the Lacie or the Sonnet Tech USB 3 to TB adapter are the best options.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Apple has just released a Thunderbolt 1/2 to TB3/USB-C adapter.

7. RobinGroenevelt macrumors newbie

RobinGroenevelt

The Apple adapter works the wrong way around. It's to hook up TB 1 and 2 to new Macs with a TB3/USB-C connection.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2017 ---
    Do you have link / name for the Lucie adapter? I have the (expensive) Sonnet tech one and it only works for small transfers. Once it gets going into Gigabits the connection freezes and it becomes really slow (USB 1 slow) and it never recovers. I couldn't find the Lacie adapter you mention.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

As the product description reports this adapter works BOTH ways. Thus you can use it to connect a TB3 device to your TB1 /2 computer or you can connect a TB1/2 device to your TB3 computer. The only thing is that you need to have a separate Thunderbolt 1/2 cable when using this adapter because that part of the adapter is female, the other is male.

Another thing the product description mentions but most people read past is the fact that this is a Thunderbolt-only adapter. It therefore doesn't do any other protocol but Thunderbolt. So no, you can't use this to connect your DisplayPort display to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac!