Thunderbolt to USB3/SATA Adapter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colorspace, Apr 13, 2015.

1. colorspace, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

colorspace macrumors 6502

2. chabig macrumors 68040

There are already 132 reviews there on Amazon. 59% of them rated it five stars.

3. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I updated my question -- forgot to include the Sleep portion in the original post. There is only 1 mention of "Sleep" in the reviews and it's problematic (1 star):

"...Among other things, both had trouble recognizing hard drives attached through USB3, and neither would dismount the drives properly when the computer went to sleep. I kept getting a message that I hadn't dismounted the drives properly. The adapter is supposed to work with OS 10.8.4 or above. I was running 10.8.5 and made sure that the latest Thunderbolt firmware was installed on my mid-2011 27" iMac. I tried different external hard drives and cables and everything else I could think of with no success. The adaptor is flaky at best. It's a shame. I would love to have one that works. One star is too good a rating"

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I used a Lacie Thunderbolt to eSATA hub (https://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574) for almost two years and I never had trouble with waking from sleep. The drives stayed connected or reconnected all by themselves.

Last January I upgraded to a Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2 (http://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thun...8&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=lacie+thunderbolt+hub) because it supports Thunderbolt 2 and also adds USB 3 ports, along with some others (ethernet and audio). It's been excellent. I have it inline with my 11" MacBook Air and my 27" Thunderbolt display. I have two eSATA drives connected to it. I've noticed that if I eject the drives to go portable, when I return and connect the Air, those drives don't auto remount unless I cycle power to them. I've since started turning the drives off when I take the Air and turn them on after I reconnect it. Otherwise, it's a fine device.

5. dyt1983, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.