Thunderbolt update 1.2 with Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptor402, Jan 16, 2014.

1. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2011
    Hello, forum

I recently killed my father's mid-2012 15" rMBP running Mountain Lion (10.8.2) by unwittingly installing the Thunderbolt Update 1.2. <this issue>

I have since backed up the data using an HFS+ formatted HDD and the cp -R command in the terminal (using the recovery), and done a fresh install of Mavericks.

Now, the 1.2 update is still available in the App Store. Should I risk installing it just for the heck of getting rid of the persistent notification (the thunderbolt port isn't being used at all) or should I play it safe and live with the notification?

Thank you.

TL;DR: Installing the thunderbolt update 1.2 on 10.8.2 screwed up the OS. Should I attempt installing it on a fresh install of Mavericks?
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    From reading that article it looks like the problem was only with the original 1.2 version that Apple pulled, and they have released a newer 1.2.1 version that does have this bug. Is 1.2.1 what you are seeing in updates? If so, you should be good to apply it. I would make a good Time Machine backup first just to be safe though.