Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all

Anyone experienced this.?

Applied the firmware 1.0 update today, but didn't go as expected. Apple should really tell customers in the same dialog that "Laptop owners need to be connected to AC power in order to apply update"

I just found this out by accident, after noticing my laptop needed to be recharged.

on the second attempt (with power) there was no progress bar.. the mac went to standby/power on after after software update installed like before, but in both cases it restarted as normal... The only way i could tell it was installed was via SU reporting all software was up-to-date.

Its kind of strange.. you can install OS X updates/combo packs without AC power on laptops, but not major firmware updates.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Firmware updates are more fundamental and basic than software updates; ergo, the need for AC power and restarts

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Thanks, guys. I thought I had applied/installed the update as well yesterday, but I did not have the AC connected. It did the double-chime thing upon restart, so I thought all went OK. I did another software update check just now and it still said I needed to do the Thunderbolt update, so it re-downloaded and (I thought) re-installed. AC was not connected again. Same double-chime. Did another software update check and again it said I needed the T-bolt update. WTF??? I then looked on this forum to see if others were experiencing this, and voila--saw this thread. Downloaded the update yet again, this time with the AC plugged in, and all is fine now... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.