Thunderbolt..... Video in??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by treebark7182, May 1, 2011.

1. treebark7182 macrumors member

I'm wondering if the refresh has thunderbolt will that mean we will be able to use it as a video in for a ps3 to have for bluray?

2. Chris5488 macrumors regular

I hope so! If they would remove the video-input feature for the 27" iMac I would be MAD :mad:...

But probably it will, since the Thunderbolt port can act as an mini-displayport such as the current iMacs have. Using it for video-in is possible with the current 27" iMac, but not with the 21.5" iMac.

The real question is: will the new 2011 21.5" iMac now be able to accept video-input?

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Be sure to consider latency / slew rate even if they do support video in. If the signal has to be converted to go from HDMI to Thunderbolt - you might as well give up on gaming with it.

I'm a bit of an odd duck when it comes to display input latency - drives me (#@*ing nuts with TVs - most people don't notice it unless they compare an "old" low def TV to an HD set with anything that is in a feedback loop with a human. (computer interface, video game, camera input)

That's one aspect of technology that's degrading over time... I hope things speed up soon. I hate UI latency on anything I interact with.

Again, odd duck.

4. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thunderbolt has nothing to do with target display mode ie video in ... You will still need hdmi to mdp convertor like kanex xd or Belkin av360 etc ... Only thing I'm hoping for is that 1080p resolution is supported because ATM you can only do 720p in the
    iMac for ps3 or xbox ... Unless you use
    atlona but it upscales 1080 to 1440 native
    res ... Not sure if it will look good ...pfft just give us a hdmi port Steve lol .. Mac mini has it

5. Chris5488 macrumors regular

First sentence: Yes it does, it acts as an Mini-displayport, and the current 27" iMac's mini-displayport accepts video-in so :)apple:'s way of thinking=) you can attach your Macbook to it and use the iMac as a (extra) screen for your Macbook

Seconde sentence: I think this was obvious to the thread starter, at least to me.

Third sentence: ??? Wait wait the Mac mini's HDMI port is HDMI-output, not input, I don't know if it's even possible for a single HDMI-port to act as input and output. IF Apple wants HDMI-input (for Apple TV and iPad... and...ahum... bluray,PS3,Xbox 360,...:D), it'll be more likely they would come with some sort of HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter.

6. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dang! Why the hate? Where's the love?

7. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

So, can we expect to be able to hook-up a PS3 to the new iMacs?

8. haveaniceday91 macrumors member

9. jlacroix macrumors newbie

Bad news.... I just bought the new imac with the av360 and had no luck. I tried 2different hdmi and usb cables and still nothing. Today I did a exchange on the av360 just incase it was faulty and Ive had the same issue. This doesnt look good at all.

If anyone has has managed to make it work please let me know

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

At this point I'd say we'ee going to have to wait a bit for HDMI to Thunderbolt adaptors to come out. Which actually may not be a bad thing in the long run as Thunderbolt is likely to be around for a while.

11. Somian macrumors member

Somian

as far as i know, it only works thunderbolt to thunderbolt now, but not hdmi, displayport, whatever to thunderbolt.

12. fener macrumors regular

Nope, they are NOT compatible.

Kanex also announced that they are updating Kanex XD to work with new thunderbolt ports.

Hope u can return it

13. stellardream macrumors member

That is correct. But I am pretty sure, there's going to be a solution to go from HDMI to Thunderbolt.

14. Chris5488 macrumors regular

Yes! They are actually upadating it for Thunderbolt :)! Just checked the Kanex forums myself and indeed the administrator confirmed a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter is going to be announced soon! However...announced...still means it could take a couple of months before it'll be released :(