Thunderbolt vs Display port ???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by inkobl, Mar 4, 2015.

1. inkobl macrumors newbie

Hello,

I would like to know which are the differences to have a screen connected to my rMBP 15' late 2013 GT750M, between Thunderbolt and display port ? (Acer B276HK, BenQ BL2711U, HP Z27s, DELL P2715Q...)

I would like to find a retina 27' that I might be able to use as a dock station with only one cable connection ? Is it possible ? I don't want to invest in a dock station as it is pretty expensive...

Any way it look like there's only the MAC screen that can deliver thunderbolt connexion, it's a shame.

Any explanation on the differences will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. chogue23 macrumors member

Thunderbolt is an Apple and Intel invention that combines Mini-Displayport with a PCIe bus to allow things other than a display to work, such as external hard drives and docking stations, much like FireWire used to do. Any Displayport monitor will work with a thunderbolt port with a Mini-Displayport adapter, but only Apple provides the one connection thunderbolt monitors that can be daisy-chained with other devices and docking stations. Your best bet would be to get a monitor that has a usb3 hub built in that can connect everything in 2 cables, or to invest in the docking station and another monitor. Even with the $200 spent on a docking station, you would still have $800 to spend on a monitor to your liking, and remember that you can get adapters to go from mini-displayport to displayport, vga, dvi, or hdmi

3. ColdCase, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

The main difference is that if you want to run two external monitors, one has to be the Apple Thunderbolt monitor.... well there are more expensive options.

Otherwise a ~$200 Thunderbolt dock will give you a external monitor (display port preferred but HDMI can work) plus a number of USB, ethernet, audio ports over a single cable to the Mac.

The USB3 hubs built into displays aren't typically robust enough to handle USB drives well, where a TB dock eliminates the potential for USB3 hub drama.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1831181

4. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Just a heads up, you can run two displays via two thunderbolt docks and two displays. Just have to daisy chain the two hubs then run a display port monitor out off each.

It's nowhere near as elegant as a pair of TBD's but if you can get two displays running without having to buying one. :)

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think one monitor needs to be HDMI as the dock in the middle wouldn't have a spare display port? (The second TB/DP port is connected to the other dock leaving only a HDMI out)

6. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Correct, you'd only be able to have 1440p res display using HDMI.

Still, for the price of a hub it's not too bad, the 1st-gen Belkin Thunderbolt hubs have dramatically dropped in price

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

I think one of the LG Ultrawide displays supports Thunderbolt 2 but it might not work on your pre-TB2 Mac.