Thunderbolt vs Thunderbolt 2 External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bounou, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

So i need a new external HD, decided on going with a thunderbolt drive since my USB 3.0 drives are messing with the WIFI signal in my place something that is infinitely more important then saving a few bucks.

I have my choices narrowed down to 2 products, the LaCie 6TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive or the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 Diskless 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID System

If i am being honest i would probably rather have the LaCie, mostly because it looks better but it's not a slam dunk, still on the fence.

Eventually if i end up buying the LaCie i would probably have 2 of them in raid 0 with one of them serving as a backup of the other.

My question is simple really, will i ever see a performance difference between thunderbolt and thunderbolt 2? I mean even if i had the pegasus with 4x4TB drives in raid 0 would i ever see a difference between that and thunderbolt 1?

So, will i ever be able to tell the difference between the 2? The cost is pretty much the same when you consider i need to buy the drives for the pegasus and i need two for the LaCie, the big difference mostly is the look and the performance.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I gather from this article that for simple storage you will not see a difference. Thanks to MilanKraft at Ars for the link.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

It will take 6 or more HDD striped in RAID-0 before you will see any benefit from Thunderbolt2.

So for anything less, you will be fine.

The Promise Pegasus2 4-drive chassis is overkill for Thunderbolt2; you will not see any performance benefit over Thunderbolt 1 with hard drives in any RAID mode.

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

You do if you load it up with brackets with SSD's. 4 good SSD's will get you near 2000MBs. not something thunderbolt 1 can achieve.

but it will not be cheap.

5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Yes, SSDs will do that.My comment was about HDD.

I'm not too sure about that 2000MB/sec performance spec, though. Will have to wait until someone gets a Promise and trys that.

I think users will see less than that after accounting for PCIe limitations.

6. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Yes. A single SSD theoretically has around 500MB Read/Write speeds, but that limit is never reached through USB, or Thunderbolt. The fastest SSD disks connected through Thunderbolt achieve somewhere around 380-400 MB/sec read/write speeds.

Still, 4 of them will be over the limit of TB1 but not saturating TB2 totally. You can certainly get close to 1.5 GB/Sec with TB2 using 4 SSD's.