Thunderbolt vs Thunderbolt 2 External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bounou, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2012
    So i need a new external HD, decided on going with a thunderbolt drive since my USB 3.0 drives are messing with the WIFI signal in my place something that is infinitely more important then saving a few bucks.

I have my choices narrowed down to 2 products, the LaCie 6TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive or the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 Diskless 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID System

If i am being honest i would probably rather have the LaCie, mostly because it looks better but it's not a slam dunk, still on the fence.

Eventually if i end up buying the LaCie i would probably have 2 of them in raid 0 with one of them serving as a backup of the other.

My question is simple really, will i ever see a performance difference between thunderbolt and thunderbolt 2? I mean even if i had the pegasus with 4x4TB drives in raid 0 would i ever see a difference between that and thunderbolt 1?

So, will i ever be able to tell the difference between the 2? The cost is pretty much the same when you consider i need to buy the drives for the pegasus and i need two for the LaCie, the big difference mostly is the look and the performance.
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    I gather from this article that for simple storage you will not see a difference. Thanks to MilanKraft at Ars for the link.
  3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2003
    It will take 6 or more HDD striped in RAID-0 before you will see any benefit from Thunderbolt2.

So for anything less, you will be fine.

The Promise Pegasus2 4-drive chassis is overkill for Thunderbolt2; you will not see any performance benefit over Thunderbolt 1 with hard drives in any RAID mode.
  4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2010
    You do if you load it up with brackets with SSD's. 4 good SSD's will get you near 2000MBs. not something thunderbolt 1 can achieve.

but it will not be cheap.
  5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2003
    Yes, SSDs will do that.My comment was about HDD.

I'm not too sure about that 2000MB/sec performance spec, though. Will have to wait until someone gets a Promise and trys that.

I think users will see less than that after accounting for PCIe limitations.
  6. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes. A single SSD theoretically has around 500MB Read/Write speeds, but that limit is never reached through USB, or Thunderbolt. The fastest SSD disks connected through Thunderbolt achieve somewhere around 380-400 MB/sec read/write speeds.

Still, 4 of them will be over the limit of TB1 but not saturating TB2 totally. You can certainly get close to 1.5 GB/Sec with TB2 using 4 SSD's.