Thunderbolt... will i be able to...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Mar 5, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've read all the Thunderbolt promo lingo. Some of it is still a bit vague, as there is no accessories/adapter available yet.

But I'm unsure about something. I know you can daisychain stuff, and put the display at the end of the chain, but does the display have to be an Apple monitor with a MiniDisplay Port input?

What I want to be able to do, is get a Thunderbolt to eSATA adater, then from there be able to use my MiniDisplay Port to DVI adapter to plug in my Acer monitor.

Do you think this will be possible based on what they've said so far about it?

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Daisy chaining means the device that you connect to has to have 2 ports: Thunderbolt In, and Thunderbolt Out. If your device has an eSATA port instead of a Thunderbolt port, sorry but you can't daisy chain. For what you want to do, you need a Thunderbolt I/O to DisplayPort & Thunderbolt splitter. That way, one port for combined DisplayPort and Thunderbolt becomes 2 ports, dedicated to each. From there, an eSATA adapter could be plugged into the Thunderbolt port from the splitter, and your monitor on the DisplayPort jack.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Gotcha. I figured some sort of splitter might be in order for that. Can't wait till all these things become available to look at the options.