Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Oldmanmac, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

I am wondering if this is possible.....

I had a problem with 2 OWC FW drives not working on my 2011 iMac. After going round n' round with OWC for replacement (they were new) I decided to give Apple a shout. (All my other FW drives worked fine, just not the OWC).

I showed them the problem. Since I still had AC and they couldn't find anything, they replaced the logic board. Same outcome, I left it alone and trashed the OWC's, as they would only do USB2.

That said to ask this. Later I tried a Thunderbolt drive and it didn't work for me. Is it realistic that maybe the port was dead or just an incompatible drive?

2. carestudio macrumors 6502

are you using Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter?

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Its possible the cable is bad. If you are using one cable for the OWC drives and another for the other drives I would suspect the cable. I've used OWC FW drives for years without issue, except for a bad cable now and again.

4. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, trying tomove everything to the new iMac, the TB port on the original iMac still didn't work. So, I went from the new iMac's TB to the FW on the old iMac.

5. carestudio macrumors 6502

did you try different thunderbolt cable? despite that you are using OWC's thunderbolt drive, caldigit has some good generic troubleshooting steps for Thunderbolt devices

http://www.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=151

you may try update OS, cables.

6. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did try 2 different cables. Ended up using FW800 (through an adapter>)

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why use FW at all? Drives do SATA 1/2/3, not FW or USB. It is the enclosure that does the translation between SATA and FW or USB or TB. So move the drives to USB 3 enclosures and hook them to a USB 3 hub.

8. Oldmanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

MCASan
    You are correct in that my current enclosures are FW. As I replace them I will chose then.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

What MCASan was suggesting is that you could get new enclosures for the drives that dont work via Firewire and connect them via USB3...