Thurrott loves him some FUD

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Link

And this is how we learn that Apple doesn't necessarily design more secure software than Microsoft. In fact, there is absolutely no way to know how Apple would perform if its OS X software was used by 600+ million people rather than just 14 million people. The popularity of iTunes--and its attraction as a target for hackers--should be an interesting test.
And this is how we learn it is a Windows only worm/virus that users are blindly clicking on because it is named "ITUNES.exe". We also learn it has absolutely nothing to do with OS X or how iTunes is coded. Ugh, read further down where he says Apple 'stole' Konfabulator. :rolleyes:

Link

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
What a moron. The fact that it doesn't run on OSX but on Windows, exploiting Windows vulnerabilities, seems to be lost on him. Naming a virus after a popular app doesn't make the OS insecure it just targets people who are too stupid to download software. What I don't understand is why someone woud use IM or P2P to download a free app :confused:

treblah

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Applespider said:
I sometimes wonder whether there are two Paul Thurrotts.

Last week, he recommended Macs because of their security and this week, he's blaming Apple and their lack of security for a Windows virus that's got nothing, aside from its opportunist name, to do with them.

That's some bipolar disorder... ;)
The problem with Thurrott is that he has 3 different websites. WinSuperSite, Win IT Pro, and his blog Internet-Nexus. He rarely discusses Apple on WinSuperSite because it's all about Windows. He looks at both sides of the story on WinITPro because he is supposed to be acting like a journalist. The story you mentioned for instance. But with the Nexus he writes what he actually thinks without having to answer to an Editor or Advertisers. This is where is most brazen MS fanboy persona really comes out. ;)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I'm certain any pro-Mac article from Thurrot is only so he can claim he's not completely biased before launching into another huge pro-MS/anti-Mac tirade...*yawn*

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
My Email To Paul Thurrott

My personal email to paul@thurrott.com:

Re: Hackers Now Aim At Popular Software

Sir,

In the article referenced above, you state that "popular software is just hacked more often than infrequently-used software".

While I do not disagree with that theory, per se, it seems that you are implying that iTunes has been "hacked"? I sincerely hope you understand the difference between exploiting a code vulnerability and simply naming a simplistic trojan horse after a popular application...as well as the difference between "hacking" and "cracking".

I wouldn't go home, make a shell script that deletes my entire hard drive, call it cia.exe, and then claim that I've just utterly compromised the Central Intelligence Agency. But then again, I'm not a lunatic.

# cat > cia.exe
rm -rd /
# chmod +x cia.exe
# sudo ./cia.exe
Password:

Cheers,
Mark E. Haase
I'll post any reply I get.