THX certified stereo actually worth it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jun 3, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is a THX certified stereo actually worth it? Is the sound better or is it just marketing? An example the Logitech Z268.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I you live over a mile from your nearest neighbour, sure.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A home theatre system sure. Just a stereo not really.

All the THX certification means is the sound is calibrated to sound the way the audio engineers intended.

5. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

THX isn't an encoding/decoding thing. It's a hardware certification thing. Some av receivers meet much higher standards for parts, standards that meet or exceed the specifications needed to be THX certified.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've got a THX-certified Logitech speaker system. The sound is quite good. I'm not sure it's necessarily better than any other similarly-priced, non-THX speaker system, but I'll happily vouch for Logitech and say you probably won't be disappointed.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I have the Logitech Z623s, they are great. I'm not an audiophile or anything like that, but they they are loud, bassy (or not if you turn the sub down), and clear enough for me (read: average listener).

I don't know what the THX does, but they sound great, a lot better than my last speakers (although that could be because they cost 3 times as much as my last speakers). For what it's worth, I'd buy them again.