Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieShop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Hi,

So I'd like to know if theoretically I should be able to run an external 3rd Party (LG/NEC/Dell) LCD display from the DVI port of my 15inch Ti G4 powerbook 867 (2002) - with the original video card of that model.

I am (or was) sure that I could - be a recent experience with a new (TN panel) LG LCD monitor 20.6inch 1600 x 1050 native res. (LG L204WT) has sown some doubts. Basically, the external monitor would go blank after a few minutes or secs after scrolling around opening windows etc. Not to powersaving mode but just blank. Only unplugging the DVI cable, rebooting the powerbook and reconnecting the DVI would bring it back to life, only for same thing to happen. I tried a new DVI cable, same prob, so wondered if the problem was either caused by:
a) a faulty monitor or
b) my graphics card being too old/not powerful enough to cope with the new panel.

I have since sent the panel back thinking it must be faulty, but dont' want to buy an alternative replacement if it is actually my pbook/vid card that is lacking in spec.

Also, being a bit hasty in purchasing the monitor, I now know that I want an IPS-S based screen, so am looking for one of those, probably to the same size.

Anyone out there know if I should be able to get this kind of screen running ok?

Thanks.

Here is what Apple's site says for the 867 model I can find:
Built-in 2D/3D graphics acceleration through an integrated ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 32MB or 64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory
- Support for dual display and video mirroring: Millions of colors on the built-in display and on an external display at up to 2048 by 1536 pixels (8)
- Support for a single external display: Millions of colors on an external display at up to 2048 by 1536 pixels

So it should support a 20in display. Maybe it was something in your display settings being at an odd refresh.

PieShop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks guys....
So I am going to test on another monitor at work and see if there is anything wrong with my pb, but hopefully it was the screen that was malfunctioning (fingers crossed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.