TiBook G4 667 not connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I recently bought an iBook G4 1 GHz (1.25 GB RAM, combo drive, airport extreme, etc.) and a TiBook G4 (667, 768 MB RAM, combo drive) for 60 dollars. The iBook works perfectly. However, the PowerBook has a problem with connecting to the internet. It finds wireless networks, and can identify them, but it cannot connect to them. It also cannot connect to the internet when I have an ethernet cable plugged into the back. I have gone through the network assistant multiple times. I even re-installed a fresh copy of Tiger. I changed the date to today's date and time, to see if that would make a difference. No luck.

The strangest part is..it can see wireless networks, but when I looked in the PCMCIA slot, there is nothing in it...it's empty..

2. goMac macrumors 603

The wireless card is not in the PCMCIA slot, it's in a special internal slot under the keyboard.

The TiBook only came with 802.11b cards. Be sure your network is broadcasting 802.11b.

The TiBook also cannot connect to WPA secured networks, only WEP secured networks.

Not sure what's up with the ethernet.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a TiBook/400. It connects just fine to my WPA secured home network.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Actually its accessed from underneath the computer by removing the bottom case, You don't need to remove the keyboard at all.
    Or broadcasting in G.
    Uh, I've got 2 TiBooks that both connect just fine to my WPA networks. Have you ever even used the computer he's talking about?? :rolleyes:

5. MacinDan macrumors regular

TiBooks or any 'books with the original Airport card can only connect to WPA and not WPA2, just to clear that up.

Are you on a router? Try changing the security settings to WPA1 if it's not already.

6. Nova77 Guest

Wireless B is outdated and unsupported. Get Wireless G or N (N is the latest). There are cheap USB sticks that do just that, or you can get a PCMCIA card with antennas too. I bet the latter option will give you greater range than most stock pc laptops, that way you can laugh at them with your old school laptop haha.

There are no genuine apple wireless card than will replace your wireless B card, it is incompatible with the TIbook.

7. goMac macrumors 603

Ahhh d'oh.

It's been a while since I had my TiBook. :)

8. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Turns out it has an airport card, it is located under the PCMCIA slot. I'm still trying to figure out the problem with the connection. I agree that it is likely the fact the powerbook uses wifi B, however I don't understand the ethernet cable problem.