Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
This is an alarm clock/RSS reader--with a twist. It is a robot waking you up and reading to you, customized with whatever you want him to say.

I have to say, this app is ingenious and currently my favorite.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Hello orrelse44,

Thanks for the kind words. I created the app, and would love feedback on potential features.

Right now I plan a landscape mode with a large robot face, and ability to paste in a RSS URL (it can't detect the RSS URL on some sites). I'm considering instant on mode so optionally it starts speaking the headlines right when you start the app, and letting you pick a song instead of that crazy alarm sound it has.

I'm a loooooooooong time Apple fan, starting with Woz signed IIGS (and Apple IIe in school before that) I bought when I had 3 flyer delivery routes. I've read macrumors for a while but never posted.

If others are wondering what the heck the app is about its an on demand or via alarm time app that vocalizes the news headlines with a sophisticated english sounding synth voice. When it reads the headlines the robot head wakes up, and animates while reading. (little bit of sci-fi, a dash of knowledge navigator). It placed 2nd in the cool category at the recent iPhoneDevCamp.

Got a great write on gizmodo as app of the week selection:
http://gizmodo.com/5357721/the-week-in-iphone-apps-spiders-robots-and-ocd?skyline=true&s=x

Video is here :
http://idea.wirus.com/ticktalkrobot/

Thanks. Pile it on, give me suggestions and feedback.

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hello orrelse44,

Thanks for the kind words. I created the app, and would love feedback on potential features.

One thing that kind of drives me crazy is the robot repeating which RSS feed it is reading. Some of them that are really long just sound incredibly stupid--and seriously is it really required that it be repeated? Maybe an option to turn that off?

Okay, now that we have the technology to have this robot read to you....how about a separate app that has the robot say anything you type in? This would be endless fun.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
One thing that kind of drives me crazy is the robot repeating which RSS feed it is reading. Some of them that are really long just sound incredibly stupid--and seriously is it really required that it be repeated? Maybe an option to turn that off?

You mean when it says "these are the top headlines from WHATEVER.com ". You don't like the Whatever.com part? If you have entered the URL like https://www.macrumors.com you can just enter macrumors.com in the NEWS URL area and it will work fine, and it will just say macrumors.com.

I get your point though. In the next update I'll parse out any full urls and just say the site name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.