Tick versus Tock: general discussion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGirl, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. TechGirl macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2008
    Anyone looking through the forums can clearly see that there is a huge number of people agonizing over whether they can wait for Nehalem, the next "tock". Although the tocks give a bigger perfomance boost, I am really wondering whether--in general--ticks are better and safer to buy. I remember hearing about all the overheating issues in the macbook pros, and it seems this would be a likely issue for any tock. So it seems the consumer's choices are A)more stable but cutting edge for much shorter time or B)cutting edge/bigger performance boost but larger technical problems. So are you a ticker or a tocker?
  2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

    May 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think once a new case design is introduced in the MBP it will almost be like a Rev A product. It's a whole new computer inside with all the parts being smaller and could potentially be more faulty.

    I was fine with the update last week so I went ahead and bought a new MBP. I'm not worried about new designs at the moment because I think the one now is fine. If I didn't just buy this MBP I would probably be more inclined to wait for the update after Monetvina. It will be in its "second" generation and the kinks (if any) will most likely have been worked out.

    I don't really think about the Ticks or Tocks when buying. I just buy when I find it necessary for a new machine.
  3. tip macrumors 6502


    Mar 9, 2006
    Same here. To me, spending $2000 is a large investment and the machine is a utility to get things done.

    Btw, "tick" vs "tock" isn't a good analogy for this.
  4. Reuel macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2008

    I prefer a new microarchitecture (Tock) to a shrink (Tick).

    The large jump in new technology is worth it. The only downside is it runs hotter than a Tick.
  5. macthille macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2007
    Exactly! Good that you bring this up. I bought the first gen macbook (which I still use) and it had some of problems.. Random shutdowns and the case turned yellow.. It got fixed and it works perfectly well since then... But I don't want to get through that again.
    I've ordered this version of the MBP and I think it's beautiful =)
  6. TechGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2008

    yeah, it's not the clearest analogy, but it is what the folks at Intel are calling it. I'm all for buying when you need it, but also for considering what your investment is going to get. I'm less concerned with having the latest and greatest (after all, that will last maybe a week) than with getting a really solid machine that won't give me 3rd degree burns on my legs :D. So when the "need to buy" time falls really close to a "tock" (sorry, don't know what else to call it, so for consistency's sake...) you have to decide which side of the fence you are going to go for.

    I just think that both have advantages, and people shouldn't automatically assume that the tock will be a better buy. After all, the tick is the improved tock. With Apple I am less concerned about buying new technology than with other companies, but there is still a risk.
  7. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

    Mar 10, 2006
    I guess it all depends on user preference and the companies record. Apple seems to have a good record of releasing new "rev A" products that little problems with them. I think you would call that buying it after a 'tock'. But, if you know where there is going to be a 'tock' (like this summer) then I would think it would be better to buy the 'tick' before the 'tock because you would be getting a 'tock' with all the problems worked out of it.

    I dunno if that makes any sense, but in short, I think now is a good time to buy a reliable MBP just before the revision.


Share This Page