Ticking sound through speakers after Mavericks install?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pjny, Oct 26, 2013.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm getting a strange ticking sound through the speakers of my MB Pro 2011 after Mavericks install. It's happened twice in the last day and is happens 120 times per second. Rebooting makes sound go away. I've been on my computer for 3 hours today and it suddenly happened again.

2. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

I have the same on my late 2011 MBP ... a static tick through the speakers...

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Are you plugged into power, and if so what end connector are you using, the 2 or 3 pronged connector, as sometimes you can develop a ground fault isolation loop and by switching to the other connector resolve the issue?

4. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

5. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

Worked under Snow Leopard for a day (on the same physical machine and comparable circumstances): not a single tick.

Working for a couple of ours under Mavericks: getting the tick again.

I (again) did PRAM-reset, but this did not solve the issue...

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Have you checked the system log in Console around the times that the ticking has occurred? Does the volume of the ticking change as you raise/lower the systems sound volume?

7. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

Will try to see whether there is a relation between the tick and messages in the console log ... also for the volume.

8. mariusmalan macrumors newbie

Ticking sound through speakers after Mavericks install?

Hi.
    I had the same problem, I found my problem. I hope this will work for others as well. As soon as I closed the app Kies the ticking stopped.

9. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

10. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

@EssentialParado: i am sure it is the speaker.
    @mariusmalan: happy for you. I am not using Kies.
    @pjny: any updates on your side?
    @Mr Rabbit: just got back my MBP from (other/non-related) repair, and still trying to see whether volume and console help getting to the cause

11. AdeGee macrumors newbie

AdeGee

I too have this issue. I had a 2009 Macbook Air, upgraded to Mavericks, weird tick or shhh noise through the speakers (or headphones) after install, nothing there before.

I now also have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro, also has this issue.

There is definitely something with it, I turned off all the system related sounds, I still get the sound.

*confused*

12. raoulteeuwen, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

Had a lost of ticks last couple of hours and was able to watch the console log:

Tick’s for sure also while sound is set to mute (at OSX-level)
    A couple of entries from the console log:

13/11/13 17:27:04,247 mds[54]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7fcabe085400 Open failed. failureCount:2 {
    DisabledRecycleCount = 2;
    }
    13/11/13 17:28:05,442 mds[54]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7fcabe08b000 Open failed. failureCount:3 {
    DisabledRecycleCount = 3;
    }
    13/11/13 17:30:07,568 mds[54]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7fcabb01b600 Open failed. failureCount:4 {
    DisabledRecycleCount = 4;
    }
    13/11/13 17:26:33,236 mds[54]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7fcabe05d800 Open failed. failureCount:1 {
    DisabledRecycleCount = 1;
    }

Searching for "volume" showed a lot of similar errors in the log file. I also found the ticks occuring without a new log entry. And while using Parallels () it seemed that whenever i started an EXE, in many cases i would get a tick (but not in all cases).

Also, since it is hard to pinpoint the location from the sound, i do wonder where the tick is coming from within the MBP case.

Google-ing to see whether there are more people having similar console log errors, i found only http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-1421521-1-1.html , but in relation to Mavericks (coincidence?)

13. AdeGee macrumors newbie

AdeGee

Nice one. Sounds about right. I am getting similar entries plus also, some not entered.

Anyone else? It has to be a bug right? :confused:

14. AdeGee macrumors newbie

AdeGee

Mine is gone! No more ticking..

I worked it out for me and I feel kinda stupid.

In Outlook 2011 prefs there is an option in notifications and sounds to play a sound when there is no mail, sadly for stupid me, this was it. So I turned it off. Now I feel like a moron.

Thanks everyone, go ahead, strip me of my will to live.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Don't feel so bad. That happens to everybody sometimes.

16. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

Tick originating from Parallels?

I currently suspect the ticking sound (in my case) being generated by Parallels/Windows. Suspecting this, i googled and found http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...-sound-with-Parallels-Has-anyone-else-noticed .

So i think there is something with how Mavericks processes sound (the driver), that it is different from previous OSX, and that might influence any sound making application...

17. alfvenwave macrumors newbie

Yeah - got this too.

Yeah - got this too - scared the living daylights out of me the first time it happened. Mavericks does seem to have some very strange bugs - this is one of them - perhaps slightly more strange than the ghost icons cluttering up my desktop bug or windows getting stuck in the top left hand corner.....

Also, I wish Apple would list the software which won't work under an OS upgrade - I updated from a perfectly adequate Snow Leopard on my MBA (driven by the fact that the upgrade is free) only to discover that I've now got to pay $10 for an Airfoil upgrade.....D'OH!

18. raoulteeuwen macrumors newbie

Had this re-occur recently. Searched a lot. Eventually the best workaround i found (instead of rebooting the whole mac) is restarting the sound subsystem as described on http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/16842/restarting-sound-service by issuing the following in Terminal:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
    sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext