ticking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astudentis, Nov 28, 2007.

1. astudentis macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have had the 2.16 black mb for almost 4 months, and i have hardly taken it off my desk for the entire use...i am very careful in keeping it clean (no fingerprints...etc)... every since i bought it the mouse button makes a tick sound when i press on it gently (without actually clinking)...i thought that was a minor issue and could deal with it and didnt bother with it... now eveytime i put my palm on the right side of the palm rest it makes a tick tick sound, this happen every time i gently push down on the right palm rest... has this been happening to anyone one of you guys? is it something to ask for an exchange/fixing? I really dont like that my almost 2000$ investment is built so "crappishly" - i worked quite hard this summer to purchase the mb, this is my first mac and had a dell laptop before hand and had no hardware issues like that... i think the mac os is great :) ...fast notebook, however the hardware it kind of ticking me off :mad:... any suggestions (i orginally wanted a mbp so that i woundn't have these issues, but decided on getting a mb thinking that apple couldn't be selling a bad hardware + i am a student and it was reasonable for me to save 500$)? :(

2. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Do you have apple care? If so just take it in and see... it sounds like something is just sitting wrong and could be easily fixed without any parts, just maybe taking off the piece that's around the keyboard, adjusting some stuff, and putting it back on. I'd make a genius bar appointment if it really bugs you.

3. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

i dont have an apple store here, the neares apple store is like an 8hr drive from here... i bought by mb from university campus...they have no "genius bar" people

4. eman macrumors 6502a

I have the same Black macbook and no problems here. There is only two moving parts inside the macbook and that is the fan and HDD (beside the keyboard) and they shouldn't be touching anything.
    Try this: If you pull out the battery and pull out the L-bracket that exposes the memory and HDD ( you will need a small Phillips screw driver). You will see three small screws behind where the L-bracket was (the screws heads are tiny). These three screws help secure the the keyboard to the macbook frame. Gently push on the keyboard while observing the three small screws for movement.

Also, underneath the right palm rest is the SATA hard drive.

5. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

will opening my mb void my apple care warranty?

6. eman macrumors 6502a

I have removed the L-bracket in several of my macbooks and then sent them to Apple for warranty work. Apple never mentioned anything about the upgrades and repaired my macbooks. If you can't find a simple solution to the ticking, call Apple and have your macbook repaired. You should expect your macbook to be gone at least a week (that has been my experience).