Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music streaming service Tidal is bringing Dolby Atmos Music to Dolby Atmos-enabled devices like TVs, sound bars, speakers, and, notable for Apple users, the 4K Apple TV.

tidaldolbyatmos.jpg

Apple's 4K Apple TV, released in 2017, supports Dolby Atmos, a feature that brings more immersive sound for content when the Apple TV is paired with a Dolby Atmos soundbar or receiver and speakers.

According to Dolby, Tidal support for Dolby Atmos is rolling out to compatible television streaming boxes as of today. Support is available for the 4K Apple TV, 2nd-generation Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, 3rd-generation Fire TV, Nvidia Shield TV and TV Pro (from 2019), and Dolby Atmos-enabled TVs from Sony and Philips.

To use the feature, Apple TV 4K owners will need a Dolby Atmos enabled sound system along with the updated Tidal app.

Tidal began rolling out Dolby Atmos support back in December for Android smartphones and tablets, and it is available for all Tidal HiFi subscribers. Tidal HiFi is Tidal's streaming tier with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, priced at $19.99 per month.

Music playback will default to Dolby Atmos if a Dolby Atmos mix and compatible device are available. Tidal has been adding Dolby Atmos music to its streaming service on a regular basis, and notable albums and songs with support include Ariana Grande's "7 rings," The Weeknd's "After Hours," and Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello's "Señorita."

Tidal's Dolby Atmos content can be found by selecting the "Available in Dolby Atmos" section from the Home screen or searching for Dolby Atmos. For new subscribers interested in Dolby Atmos Music, Tidal is offering an extended 60-day free trial.

Article Link: Tidal Debuts Dolby Atmos Music Support for Apple TV 4K

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I may be switching from Qobuz to Tidal mainly for the Hi-Res audio. Qobuz was less at $15 per month. This is $20. Have to see if I will want to keep paying that price for 1 user account. However, adding it to my AppleTV 4k is helping that cause along now. I would totally be only apple music if they did this too. But, we will have to wait and see. I hope Apple does an HD add-on SOON!

Reactions: DeepIn2U

cikakosta

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Well, its not just an add-on. In order to support Dolby, 360, MQA, flac etc it would mean that Apple ditches his own formats and run to the 3rd party ones. Not sure if that will be the case soon.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Last time I tried their appletv app it was horrible. Is it actually updated and works?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
How much content is in this Hi Res format? I remember having a SACD and DVD-A player. There wasn't all that much available for either, and even less that I cared about.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
While not perfect, Tidal is the best balance of catalogue and quality for me. Been a subscriber for over 4 years. Spotify never rolled out their higher quality tier (no idea why) and Apple music is DOA to me due to lackluster sound quality. There are some others worth checking out like Amazon HD and Qobuz, but Tidal's integration has the best options right now. Apple Music and Spotify are adequate for folks who are fine with wireless audio over the anemic bluetooth bandwidth, but it frustrates and angers me that people are ok and actually pay for this. It's nice to see Apple not forcing users to adopt their current philosophy of low quality audio only and continue to let users decide what they like.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Tidal rocks!

Master Recordings are an absolute game changer. I almost prefer that more than vinyl...I know, I know.

I don't get the Tidal disdain from Apple fans, I could not be more happy with Tidal.

As long as you have the equipment, it is easily worth the cost of admission.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I really enjoy the master quality offerings from Tidal for my setup with my iMac as the source.
I'd stop my tidal subscription if Apple offered a comparable service.

That said, does anybody know what quality sound you get from the apple TV tidal app? (not airplay).
Also, does which generation apple TV matter?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The only problem is the price. Hi-Fi is very expensive.
You can say that again. Premium seems more or less identical in quality and price as Apple Music:
  • Premium - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
  • Family Premium - $14.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial
But HiFi is on a different level:
  • HiFi - $19.99 USD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, Sony 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
  • Family HiFi - $29.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
If you have spent thousands on high-end audio system, $10-15 premium over cheaper competing services can be negligible. So AirPods wearing music listeners are obviously not their target audience.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
You can say that again. Premium seems more or less identical in quality and price as Apple Music:
  • Premium - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
  • Family Premium - $14.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial
But HiFi is on a different level:
  • HiFi - $19.99 USD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, Sony 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
  • Family HiFi - $29.99 USD a month including up to 5 additional family members totaling 6 on the account. Lossless High Fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.
If you have spent thousands on high-end audio system, $10-15 premium over cheaper competing services can be negligible. So AirPods wearing music listeners are obviously not their target audience.

That's the point though: Tidal is for the niche looking for HiFi. Tidal has no advantage for most people.

Reactions: freedomlinux

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Well, its not just an add-on. In order to support Dolby, 360, MQA, flac etc it would mean that Apple ditches his own formats and run to the 3rd party ones. Not sure if that will be the case soon.

Apple never had its own formats. Apple always used AAC audio, which is the exact same as what Tidal and Amazon use on their lossy tier.

It is because, other than MP3, only AAC is universally supported in hardware on phones.

Apple has had a lossless format for 16 years, and added support for FLAC 3 years ago. Apple also supports Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital Plus, which is what this is running on.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
What's the compelling advantage for stereo music with Atmos?
Is it doing like ProLogic where it just distributes the two channels based on phase?

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
What's the compelling advantage for stereo music with Atmos?
Is it doing like ProLogic where it just distributes the two channels based on phase?

Think its more for content created for Atmos.

Bigger issue is, Apple I believe still doesn't support True-HD Atmos. Only DD+ Atmos which is compressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Bigger issue is, Apple I believe still doesn't support True-HD Atmos. Only DD+ Atmos which is compressed.

Only Blu-Ray players support Atmos over TrueHD. Streaming services aren't going to support the 18 Mbps+ peak bitrate you need.

pob42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Looks like Atmos via Tidal on AppleTV 4K runs at 768kbps using Dolby Digital+.
F8461E55-502A-46D1-83F0-0E0CE03EC235.jpeg

Normal stereo recordings use ALAC. One Coldplay track I tried had a bit rate of around 950kbps (master)

Reactions: jeffirl

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Must be due to bandwidth. Hotter tracks are being sent to more users so they need smaller files.

768 kbps is the standard maximum bitrate for DD+ with Atmos.

Reactions: jeffirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.