Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tidal has added Siri support in the latest update to its iOS app, meaning iPhone and iPad users can now ask Apple's virtual assistant to play content from the music streaming service.

tidalstreamingmusic.jpg

As noted by XDA Developers, the added support doesn't appear to extend to the HomePod or HomePod mini, which means Tidal users still can't take advantage of the HomePod's Siri voice controls to navigate their tunes and playlists.

As things stand, Siri on HomePod works with Apple Music, Deezer, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and Pandora. Apart from Tidal, the only other major streaming service that doesn't yet work with Siri on HomePod is Spotify, a fact which has left users critical of the company. The reasoning behind Spotify's refusal to adopt ‌HomePod‌ support remains unknown.

Article Link: Tidal Gains Siri Integration on iPhone and iPad, But Still Lacks HomePod Support

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Tidal still exists? Why would anyone subscribe to it?
I thought the same, but music quality is excellent on it. I would rank Tidal and Apple Music tops in quality of music.

I own a Tesla and Tesla does not have an Apple Music app, which I would prefer, so I did subscribe to Tidal and was surprised how good it was.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and Rique

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Next question becomes when will Tidal meet CarPlay....

(I know it does - but its frankly rubbish)

anthony8400

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
I actually really like TIDAL in terms of music quality. Basically the only reason that I am using this before Spotify or Apple Music.
I do admit that the CarPlay integration is BAD; as well as the AirPlaying music to a speaker as it will lose the controls via iPhone/Apple Watch. It's a bit weird, but alas, I'll take it to get better music quality.
AM is indeed there as well, but frankly, their UI is RUBBISH. I've trie it multiple times over the years and I hate it so much. The music quality is really good though!
And Spotify, well, I only use it for social integration with friends; and then select some songs/playlists that I like and then import them into TIDAL.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
“Apart from Tidal, the only other major streaming service that doesn't yet work with Siri on HomePod is Spotify”

I can think of one other fairly major service that was promised on initial rollout that hasn’t delivered yet… Amazon Music.

If you’ve got Prime, you’ve got a decent streaming library available. Don’t think it works yet.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I actually really like TIDAL in terms of music quality. Basically the only reason that I am using this before Spotify or Apple Music.
I do admit that the CarPlay integration is BAD; as well as the AirPlaying music to a speaker as it will lose the controls via iPhone/Apple Watch. It's a bit weird, but alas, I'll take it to get better music quality.
AM is indeed there as well, but frankly, their UI is RUBBISH. I've trie it multiple times over the years and I hate it so much. The music quality is really good though!
And Spotify, well, I only use it for social integration with friends; and then select some songs/playlists that I like and then import them into TIDAL.

I agree with you. In fact, TIDAL is very popular in the audiophile community, primarily because of its seamless integration with Roon. I'm subscribed to both Apple Music and TIDAL. To date it's not possible to stream lossless music from Apple Music on a Windows PC. I have various Apple devices, but my daily driver is a Windows PC, and Apple is not giving me an option to listen to lossless.

Reactions: Shifts

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Why would anyone subscribe to it?

For a lot of reasons, such as the one below.

TIDAL is very popular in the audiophile community, primarily because of its seamless integration with Roon.

1. Better interface. Not clogged up with all graphics that apple music uses.
2. Better discovery. Their daily discovery gives me much better results than Apples'.
3. Better quality. Air playing to my car gives me much better quality than airplaying Apple Music. Don't totally understand this as Apple Music is set to use lossless over cellular. But looking at usage Tidal uses gigabytes more bandwidth as would be expected if streaming lossless.

Reactions: foldpages

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
HomePods, and other smart speakers are neat little things, but anyone seriously interested in hearing everything that uncompressed streaming has to offer is better off buying something else. You're not going to be hearing much of a difference on speakers that small... let alone mono ones.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The real news is that TiDAL still exists.

I used the trial for two days, trying to figure out how to upload my local files. Support told me it was impossible. I cancelled the trial. It wasn't fun while it lasted, though!

Reactions: tonyr6

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
As others have mentioned, Roon integration and Tidal Connect allows the DAC in my integrated amp to process music at higher rates and better sound quality than Airplay.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Found the service okay but ended up cancelling after the free trial as I felt it wasn’t worth paying for

jlstephan

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
London
I really like Tidal because of the sound quality but they really need to upgrade the Apple TV App.
Besides that I love it.
I used to have Apple Music and comparing the sound quality Tidal is really good.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
The real news is that TiDAL still exists.

I used the trial for two days, trying to figure out how to upload my local files. Support told me it was impossible. I cancelled the trial. It wasn't fun while it lasted, though!

That's why you use Roon for that scenario. Running Roon off my Synology NAS with Tidal integration is the best music experience out there for lossless IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.