Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music streaming service Tidal on Wednesday announced its compatibility with Apple CarPlay, enabling subscribers to stream music through their vehicle's dash-integrated infotainment systems.

The support comes via an iOS app update, which also includes interface harmonization with iPhone X screens, ensuring Tidal's default dark theme makes the most of those 5.8-inch OLED displays.

Screen-Shot-3-800x406.jpg

The My Collection section of the app is the hub of Tidal's CarPlay integration, where listeners can gain access to their favorited tracks, albums, and playlists.

As noted by The Verge, a special version of the Explore section will also let users find new music and podcasts, including the most played versions of both.

The update follows Tidal's announcement last month that it was providing in-app support for Sonos speaker systems, allowing subscribers to control their Sonos home sound systems directly from within the Tidal interface.

Article Link: Tidal Streaming Service Announces Apple CarPlay Support

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Didn't hear much about Tidal in the last couple of month. Last thing I remember was the rumor they allegedly were inflating subscriber numbers...

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Interesting. This certainly is intriguing. can someone here comment on how Tidal works? Can I download the high-resolution files to my iPhone locally? I don't even have 3G where I live so I'm stuck playing songs I've downloaded to my device through carPlay or Overcast podcasts.

I want Tidal for the better quality files but if I can't stream Apple music, there's no way I can stream tidal. Is there a limit to how much I can store offline?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
how long until they announce their shutdown date?
Why? Does their existence bother you?
[doublepost=1512656191][/doublepost]
I have TIDAL and enjoy it over Apple Music. That student 10$ HI-FI tho. Why so much hate on it :/?

That's easy. Because it's not Apple. I find Apple Music useless, but I don't hate on it. I pay for Spotify, but use free trials of Tidal, and just got a free 6 month of Tidal HIFI. I guess either people don't like free or they prefer lossy music.

Last edited:

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Why? Does their existence bother you?
[doublepost=1512656191][/doublepost]

That's easy. Because it's not Apple. I find Apple Music useless, but I don't hate on it. I pay for Spotify, but use free trials of Tidal, and just got a free 6 month of Tidal HIFI. I guess people don't like free.

I use it and like it. How did you get 6 months if you don’t mind me asking?

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I use it and like it. How did you get 6 months if you don’t mind me asking?

BestBuy had a promo that started the week of BF...buy any CD (even a 99 cent one) and get a code for free 6 months of Tidal HIFI. It specifically said "HIFI" so it's not just their premium service. For new users only, so you'd have to create a new account if existing users wanted to use it.

The promo ended 12/2.

Reactions: AppleUser2

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
FINALLY! Now if they can add support for Echo and Google Home.... lol
I'm already paying for two music sub services. I'm not adding a $20 third one to the mix.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
I don’t understand all the hate for Tidal.

well considering it's partially owned by Jay-Z, an some of the animus I've seen on here previously for anything hip hop related (i guess hip hop doesnt play well with the apple fanboy set) then i'm not surprised at all.

As a Tidal hifi subscriber though, I'm super pleased by this news. I'm frequently having to pull my phone from the dashboard compartment to change songs on Tidal, dangerously risking my life and others forever, and am happy i've got controls through the dash.

The one thing i'm disappointed with is there is no search functionality..the carplay app seems to be geared towards discoverability or music that you've played previously..given the extensive library i'd love to be able to ask it play anything that i want.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I tried the Tidal CarPlay app, and one thing that really disappoints me is how all music streaming apps look EXACTLY the same. Is it some requirement that the apps all look minimalist and boring? I know...driving, no distractions, but really, the console and it's apps (NAV, phone, etc.) in my car has more going on in it than any Carplay music app. SO BORING.

I really hate the 5% visible shadow of the artwork. Most albums have some pretty good cover art...why can't we see it? Oh yeah...distraction. Except I can go back to my console's home screen and right there is a nice, colorful picture of the album art of the song that is playing. So why can't carplay apps show it?

Sigh...

al2813

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Belgium
Just posted another thread not seeing this one :-(
Tidal does not load up on my unit although it does show correctly on the carplay home screen. Not sure what is the problem here....
And yes I am one of the 10 subscribers who have carplay. Try and listen to Tidal MQA streaming through a PROPER Hifi setup and you'll never want to use Apple music or Spotify ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.