Tidbits: X1900 ATI Video Card, MXM in iMac, Parallels for Mac Pro, Multifunction

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few tidbits from around the web:

Several readers have noted that the first Mac Pros with the ATI X1900 Graphics Card started shipping earlier this week. Photos of the graphics card can be seen in this thread.

Macsimumnews reports that the new 24" iMac incorporates a Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) connector for its video card. The use of this standard connector potentially means that the video card in the newest iMac is upgradeable.

Parallels announced today that the Release Candidate of their virtualization software has been released. Notable improvements in this version include Mac Pro support and early Windows Vista Beta support.

A MacNN blog entry details a recent Apple patent which describes a multi-functional handheld device which can take the place of a number of other devices. Disclosed herein is a multi-functional hand-held device capable of configuring user inputs based on how the device is to be used.

Article Link: Tidbits: X1900 ATI Video Card, MXM in iMac, Parallels for Mac Pro, Multifunction

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Hopefully the upgradeable video card in the new iMac will get some peoples' panties out of bunch around here.

That machine is really sweet and I wish I had the cash and a reason to get one.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Unless Apple went back to the rev a and rev b of the iMac G5's design it will still be hell to open the case to upgrade the GPU.

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
Imac with upgradable video card? neat!!. the cpu is upgradable also.

was debating lower end tower or 24" imac. could be a deciding factor.

though more cpu power on tower.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
slu said:
Hopefully the upgradeable video card in the new iMac will get some peoples' panties out of bunch around here.

That machine is really sweet and I wish I had the cash and a reason to get one.
Amen. I'll be purchasing the 17" version in the next couple of weeks - wish I could afford the 24", though. That machine really looks awesome.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Being able to upgrade the new iMac's might make people fell better about the built in 24" screen.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I hope they made replacing the hard drive easier too. It's one of the reasons I love the MacBook - user servicability.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
On the iPod side, it will be interesting to see if Apple timed the filing to have its publication around the time it released an actual product. If not then the multi-function iPod will be the basis for a mass of new rumors before every Keynote until it's released.

Personally I think APple would love to have it on the market before the Christmas shopping season starts.

mazola

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
This handheld device of Apple's better be good

I hear Zune will be available in brown. BROWN!

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Wow. The multi-functional handlheld makes so much sense.

PDA, Phone, iPod, GPS (remember the Leopord 'maps' program rumor?), maybe even a Airport AV remote?

So it breaks down like this. Want an iPod/CellPhone/GPS/Kitchen Sink, get the new 6g iPod. Want one that just plays music and nothing else? 2g Nano with new enclosure and 8 to 10gigs of storage.

shadowx

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
dernhelm said:
Amen. I'll be purchasing the 17" version in the next couple of weeks - wish I could afford the 24", though. That machine really looks awesome.
which 17'' version?? If you can save a little more for the 20'' I think it is worth it - the quality of the 20'' screen is far superior imho to the 17'' (well, at least the last rev, maybe the new one's are better??)

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
user removable hard drive (as the macbook has) is more important if you ask me. although all machines have user removable hard drives if you have a sledgehammer.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Squareball said:
Wow. The multi-functional handlheld makes so much sense.

PDA, Phone, iPod, GPS (remember the Leopord 'maps' program rumor?), maybe even a Airport AV remote?

So it breaks down like this. Want an iPod/CellPhone/GPS/Kitchen Sink, get the new 6g iPod. Want one that just plays music and nothing else? 2g Nano with new enclosure and 8 to 10gigs of storage.
FOR REAL! That thing looks like it could do just about anything and everything I would want. I'm holding out for a new ipod and/or phone for tuesday as i'm in the market for both. However, don't companies usually file patents a year or at least two in advance of an actual product? that would royally suck. I somehow managed to make it through my undergrad career without a cell phone but I promised my girlfriend to buy a phone if apple releases one. Please don't disappoint me Steve!

PS is there only a live webcast to london or will there be one for the rest of us also?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Macrumors said:
• Macsimumnews reports that the new 24" iMac incorporates a Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) connector for its video card. The use of this standard connector potentially means that the video card in the newest iMac is upgradeable.
Wow Macsimumnews - congratulations Captain Obvious!!

There's a graphics card upgrade as a BTO item on the 24, so of course the graphics are upgradable!!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
firestarter said:
Wow Macsimumnews - congratulations Captain Obvious!!

There's a graphics card upgrade as a BTO item on the 24, so of course the graphics are upgradable!!
There is a difference between in factory upgrades and what you can upgrade afterwards. PowerBooks had BTO video upgrades, but they were different motherboards, so not really upgradeable afterwards.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Squareball said:
Wow. The multi-functional handlheld makes so much sense. PDA, Phone, iPod, GPS (remember the Leopord 'maps' program rumor?), maybe even a Airport AV remote?
does anyone remember a skilllfully rendered image of what one forum member thought the iPod phone might look like? it had this sort of multi-function keys, they seemed to float on the surface but would appear only depending on what "mode" the device was in.

if anyone can track that down, or the creator sees this, it's a great job and would be worth lposting here again, as it's very pertinent to this thread.

Fatal Darkness

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2006
Macrumors said:

• Macsimumnews reports that the new 24" iMac incorporates a Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) connector for its video card. The use of this standard connector potentially means that the video card in the newest iMac is upgradeable.
I wouldn't get too excited about this. The PCIe PowerMacs used a standard connector and you were supposed to be able to upgrade your video cards in those too; but Apple was the only source of video cards and they refused to sell outside of bto and thus no upgrades. How they haven't been sued over advertising a $3K machine as being upgradable and then refusing to allow it to be upgraded is beyond me.

Lessen learned: never buy an Apple computer with any kind of expectation of future upgradability. Steve's upgrade policy is buy a whole new computer.

drdan

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
That patent application pretty much blew my mind.

'nuff said.

Saving my shekels and watching my stock.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
slu said:
Key word here is "potentially" upgradable gpu. Until we know for sure, no use getting all excited yet.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I would like the option to get the high end iMac using Integrated graphics so they don't put in something that sucks that will cost me ~$150. Then I can upgrade the video card after my Mac purchase and keep upgrading for the life the box if I want. Or if I didn't need to have a real graphics card, then I didn't have to pay for one.

Fatal Darkness said:
I wouldn't get too excited about this. The PCIe PowerMacs used a standard connector and you were supposed to be able to upgrade your video cards in those too; but Apple was the only source of video cards and they refused to sell outside of bto and thus no upgrades.
I didn't know that. Wow, that really sucks. I guess PCI-X on the older PowerMacs isn't going to be any better. PCI-X sounds like some experimental hack expansion that never caught on. The name probably scared off vendors from supporting it. "Universal PCI Plus" would be been a better name.