Tidy G5 Hackintosh

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

2. dbdjre0143 macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

That is impressively well done indeed! As someone who has not yet had the opportunity to own a G5, it hurts me a little bit to see one gutted for a Hackintosh, but I definitely respect the effort.
    Realistically, I understand that the majority of folks don't want to fiddle with even the best of machines from 2005, so looking past my own preferences, I enjoy a well-done conversion project. :)

3. mmphosis macrumors member

mmphosis

I've been looking at acquiring a somewhat new "PC" and sadly I have decided to wait at least a year, maybe longer, or maybe this is it and I'll be using PowerPC Macs well beyond 2038.

I think this Hackintosh is very cool. A hardware person I know, who also mentioned having once looked at a failed quad G5 with corrosion, suggested maybe I build a Hackintosh, but I am more of a software person and don't like to spend too much time fiddling with hardware, never mind building a machine, never mind trying to return some sketchy PC motherboard. Looking at the PC hardware I use:

CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron N3050 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
    clock speeds: max: 2160 MHz 1: 1388 MHz 2: 923 MHz

And then looking at these 13 year old PowerMac G5s makes me think that there has not been very much advancement with CPUs in the last 13 years. You can max out the G5 with 16GB RAM! Just trying to find PC hardware that has 32GB RAM is somewhat difficult -- I know it's out there but it seems to require a top of the line expensive PC or some sketchy gaming motherboard. My PCs are memory starved:

Info: Processes: 178 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 634.6/1898.6MB

(It hasn't started using swap yet today, but it will, and I would post the swap info if it had.)

I've also been looking at system profiling software, on linux:

# inxi -F

(Do not run the latest Perl version of inxi on Mac OS X, it doesn't work and you will definitely need to reboot.)

The hardware person I know recommend Glances which I haven't tried, apparently it is cross-platform.

Of course, we have About this Mac and System Profiler, and from the command line there is:

# system_profiler

Or, here is a colorful version with inxi type of output:

# tput setaf 6 ; system_profiler | sed -e /^$/d -e s/:/:$(tput setaf 7)/ -e s/\$/$(tput setaf 6)/ ; tput sgr0

4. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

My favorite hackintosh video series is this one. Aside from the crap LED job he did on the bottom, the rest of the unit looks quite sharp. Did a really good job I think. Here's the final 5th video.

5. AphoticD, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

I love this guy. I hadn't watched this series yet. He is totally in his element with the old Macs! :apple: :cool: :apple:

6. z970mp, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

I felt nothing but jealousy when he unboxed his mint 15" 1.67 HR DLSD, ha ha.

Lucky guy.

One day, I have to make an Intel PowerPC. The gorgeous design on these things is held back by their software's datedness, even though their software is superior to modern software.

7. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Yeah man, Mynaturalcolour is sharp at what he does. I’ve been watching him redesign & upgrade his house WiFi which has been a very interesting series to watch. It’s like he’s doing a home WiFi network mashup with ask this old house (which is another fav show of mine).

Also if that wasn’t enough, the series on his sup’d up B&W g3 is a fun watch too. I highly recommend that one.