Tidy Up or Duplicate Anihilator

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Boca, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

What's your preference for getting rid of duplicate photos in iphoto and Picassa? Or another rec.
    Thanks for insight and suggestions.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not following. Are you asking what people use to remove duplicate photos as in software or what their duplicate removal strategy is?

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I think he means this or this as tools for such a job.

I've no clue of either.

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

When I imported my photos from iPhoto to Aperture huge numbers of duplicates somehow were generated. I spent many hours deleting them, trying not to delete the masters, etc.

It was horrible, duplicates being spawned like in some bizarre video game where I wasn't good enough to shoot them all. This was probably the worst experience I ever had with software.

I have no idea what happened except that programs were developed to deal with it, so it was a widespread problem.

BTW, thanks Apple for that. What a huge pain bug to unleash on people. Somebody evidently wanted that program sent out prematurely. I can only guess who did things like that...

Got Duplicate Annihilator and it automatically got rid of the the dups, thus saving me much time. The problem is that the first version I got also deleted some masters evidently and I spent a lot of time dumpster diving in Aperture trash to retrieve photos I wanted to keep. Now there is a newer version of the program that presumably works better.

So, that is my experience. Have fun.

5. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry this is not clear. I have many duplicate photos in iphoto (and Picassa)

If you have or had a similar situation did you use some software to id the duplicates and then remove them. If you did use some type of softeware ...Do you prefer to eliminate these duplicates using Tidy Up or DA software or do you have another method (short of going picture by picture and eliminating them one by one).
    Thank you again.

6. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks CG that is exactly the similar experience I was looking for...and your suggested solution. I'll give DA a try and report back.
    Thanks again, everyone who replied.

----------

That's it, thanks for the reply sorry my post was not clear and concise.

----------

Yes, that's it. Sorry my post was not clear. Thought the title set up the sitz.

7. mowglit macrumors newbie

I created a lot of duplicates while importing my existing photo collection into iPhoto. It was probably my own fault -- I may have dragged and dropped the folders more than once. To avoid such problems in the future, I wrote an app called iPhotoTagger to tag the photos with Spotlight colors so that they stand out in Finder. Less chance of multiple imports that way. I think it may be against the forum rules to post the links here. If there is enough interest, I will create a thread in the appropriate forum under MacRumors.