Tierd Pricing for Everyone in 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was in the AT&T store and speaking to the manager about the tierd pricing for next year and the year after, so it looks like those who were granfathered this time will no longer have that option going forward. It seems that AT&T and Verizon are not really trying to save people money, however get those who use a ton od data per month to cough up the extra bucks for it because 5 Billion dollars is going into AT&T's network.

It will be interesting to see where the data plans are heading and voice plans are heading in the next 1-2 years.:rolleyes:

2. DjPiLL macrumors member

the day ATT and Verizon switch to tiered only plans is the day i switch back to Sprint.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

and also the day you can do it without a ETF

4. DjPiLL macrumors member

ETFs don't bother me. My ETF is still $175 I believe, and isn't it prorated?

Sell iPhone for $400. Pay $175 ETF. I come out ahead of the game.

5. samstod macrumors member

My GUESS is that this is why AT&T let people keep their current data plans...forcing all users to switch data plans would have let millions of 3GS users the ability to opt out of their contracts without the ETF, and let them back door their ways into a subsidized iPhone 4.

I'd expect AT&T to be very careful in the future in making all changes to terms, rates, etc apply only to new/renewed contracts instead of existing ones, especially for iPhone users.

6. DjPiLL macrumors member

Also Sprint plans are way cheaper than AT&T. A $109 AT&T plan after you add in everything needed like text and data, costs about $79 on Sprint.

So the ETF breaks even after about 6 months or so. Win.

Sprint network > AT&T network

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as sprint has coverage in your area. They're desperate for customers so they'll be the last carrier to implement tiered pricing but make no mistake, tier pricing is here to stay and will be the norm, not the exception.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

That's just crazy talk, of course they have our best interests in mind and want to save us money!!!

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Well those that just resigned a 2 year contract for a subsidized phone won't have their plans changed until that contract is up or ATT will have a lot of problems on their hands. So for many - this isn't an issue (yet) until June of 2012.

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Sprint is great, at least for me. If they had the iPhone, or something like the incredible on their network, I would probably go back. I just don't like the phones they offer now, except for the evo, but I couldn't deal with that battery life.

11. bniu macrumors 6502a

i actually got put back onto the unlimited data plan last night when I activated my iphone 4 from the datapro+tether plan. say what you want to say, but I haven't even gone anywhere near 1GB in the last several months of heavy 3G usage and the ability to tether is far more valuable to me than any "unlimited" data plan.

12. fuseone macrumors member

So what was the point of grandfathering people in if they were going to force you to change it next contract

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

Right now I'm unlimited and fine with paying $30.

If I'm forced to go tier base when my contract is up or buy the next smartphone. I'm either a) going back to a dumbphone, probably StraighTalk. Web content is growing, not shrinking. Hulu plus, netflix,etc unless they are upping the dataplan from 2gb or cutting the price

b)buy a smartphone without the subsidy and put the out of contract sim card in.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I do not understand why people believe unannounced top level executive decisions they hear first from store managers, store clerks, phone reps, etc. It's ludicrous. They know nothing until the mothership thinks they need to know -- and many times not even then.

Now the manager is correct that all new services are going to be tiered b/c they are tiered right now. However the 3G grandfather provision will last as long as there is a 3G network and you own a 3G phone w/ no 4G compatibility, i.e., LTE.

Obviously, when you buy a 2012 iPhone w/ LTE the 3G unlimited plan will not follow you.

15. dbell macrumors member

I wish all the retards who speak to Managers or Supervisors would go away. They don't know ****, they are the bottom of the information totem pole and get business critical information the same day as the general public.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

2gb and tethering on a laptop may be fine if you don't plan on using online video, music etc. I watched two flash based tv shows on my laptop via wifi and they were over 300mb a piece, so just with that i've used 600mb in one day. So I have no doubt I could run over 2gb easy via tethering. It's $20 more and no extra data.

As far as 2gb using 3G. With the new iPhone and new web based apps from hulu, netflix and I'm sure others are on the herizon, maybe even online gaming. You could potentially wind up using more data than you did with your previous devic

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I spoke to an ATT rep who said they could beat up your ATT rep.

18. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

This.