Tiger 10.4.10 to Leopard +

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeLarge, May 18, 2011.

1. DeLarge, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

DeLarge macrumors newbie

I am very familiar with Forums but this is my first post, Hopefully this is the right section. I have been a mac user for 5 years but I have come to a complete dead end with this problem I'm having. It's a long story but basically
    as of tonight I am now back to the ancient Tiger 10.4.11, I want to be back at Snow Leopard, (or at least Leopard).

I am a final year uni student (dissertation), and as of tonight I have lost EVERYTHING, Photoshop CS4, VMware, Windows XP, Autocad, Bootcamp, all partitions, the whole lot. I am pressed for time so dont wont to 'make-an-appointment' with Apple and cannot afford to pay retail for physical OS discs when I can torrent them.

My system WILL NOT upgrade/update, I have tried my housemates Leopard disc but my system says it cannot be installed, I cannot use Disk Utility, either booting from install disk or HD, everything there is 'greyed out' and 'unclickable'. Any Torrent client I download refuses to open.

I am extremely stuck. Being on Tiger is extremely frustrating. Any help would be great - I have searched the internet for solutions to this problem but all require the use of disk utility or 'just put in Leopard Disc'.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Which Mac do you have? How have you "lost" everything and reverted to Tiger? If you have an Intel Mac that's been using Snow Leopard, can you not upgrade again from your SL disc? Your friends disc won't work unless it's a retail copy and not the grey disc that came with his computer.

3. DeLarge, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

DeLarge thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought the mac second hand, the guy had upgraded through Torrents not physical discs, so I am now stuck with physical Tiger discs only (10.4.10).

I was Modifying my bootcamp partition - everything got erased (I was totally unaware this would happen) as I wasn't 'Adding' or 'splitting' partition I was just expanding into free space. I was left being asked to insert install discs, so now I am on Tiger..

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I recommend purchasing a Snow Leopard upgrade disk (approx. $30), and use it to get your system back into shape and up-to-date. The machine looks like it should handle Snow Leopard fine.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yep. Buy the Snow Leopard disc. Before you do the upgrade BACKUP YOUR MAC first. Then you won't be in danger of losing anything else. :eek: