Tiger 10.4.11 update crashed my mbp...HELP!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashvere, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ashvere macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I tried to install the 10.4.11 update yesterday, at the end of the downloading and installation, the system prompted a msg saying that there was an error with installing the update. I noticed that i could not start safari after that.
    so i tried to shut down but the system did not, just hangs there with my empty wallpaper.

So i tried to reboot, and i can only get into the white apple screen with the spinning ball and it just stucks there forever.

Anyone know if there is an official word from Apple regarding this?

I am using a SR MBP 2.2 15"

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Crap. Can you boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT at startup? Did you have any peripherals plugged in when you were installing the update? :)

3. ashvere thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried reseting pram, using disk utility to repair disk,
    rebooting to safe mode and also single user mode, none of it works.

4. ashvere thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm dead,

i tried to reinstall with the installation disks but i cannot choose the archive and backup option because it needs 16gb while i only have 13gb left.
    My files!!!! sobzz,

any1 knows how to help?
    desperate....

5. migibizzle macrumors newbie

Hmm... i installed the update i notice safari crashes everytime i even so much as look at the screen.

Sucks it looks like you will have to reinstall your OS. If i were you i would take a trip to my local electronic store and purchase and external hard drive with firewire capability. And a firewire cable of course. Attach the the external hard drive to your computer and boot with your install disk. Install the OS to that external hard drive. Boot with the external and transfer your files over to the external. After this is done delete your computers drive do a fresh install and move everything over. After this is done delete the contents of the external hard drive pack it back on the box along with the cable and take it back. ;)

Will take a few hours but it seems like your only solution.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

All you can really do is a clean install at this point.

Also.. maybe in the future you should backup your data. Its a very small amount of effort to do and saves you a lot of headache and loss.

7. toddster63 macrumors newbie

toddster63

This has happened to me with my MacBook on two major updates this past year, including this one to 10.4.11--Auto Update enounters an error while installing the update and then the computer will not start Mac OS X after the rebooting. Thankfully I back-up before ANY update, so I just let SuperDuper wipe the internal hard drive clean and then reinstall my backup from my Firelite drive, and it's just like it was. Backing up has become routine around here, after ingnoring it (post OS X) for many years. It REALLY can save you insane headaches and restore things just like they were after disasters such as software update errors that corrupt the system.

For system updates I guess I have leaned my lesson--not to let Auto Update do the installation and do it manually in Safe mode...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you don't have access to an external bootable drive but you do have another Mac and a Firewire cable, then Target Disk Mode may help get data back. Remember to always back up before a system update.