Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I've noticed that the spinning beach ball appears far more often in Tiger than Panther, particularly when Java apps are running ( which is very unfortunate ).

If 512MB isn't enough practical memory then Apple really needs to optimize Tiger a little more... ( yes, DIMMs are cheap.. but SODIMS are still quite expensive)

Anyone else have this experience, excess spinning beach balls?

PB 15" 1.67 - 512MB.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
I do, often times when I start up TextEdit I get a beachball for like 5 seconds. Which is quite surprising considering is just TextEdit. I have seen it a few other times, similar circumstances, just starting a simple app. Definitely more frequent.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I've been getting tons of freezups in firefox. I stopped using safari because it froze up constantly. Maybe Apple wants me to switch back?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
for me, i find safari is the app that causes me the most beachballs.

im running a 1.8ghz imac g5 wih 512 ram. everytime safari freezes up i get so worried it's gonna force quit (its annoying when you have like 10 tabs open).

firefox must be a pain to use, seeing as it takes up more ram than safari..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Have you all tried the standard solutions -- repair permissions, re-updating of prebindings, reboot, rinse and repeat? ;) I have a 640MB iBook G4, and while it isn't without beachballing :rolleyes: it isn't really worse in Tiger than Panther.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
mkrishnan said:
Have you all tried the standard solutions -- repair permissions, re-updating of prebindings, reboot, rinse and repeat? ;) I have a 640MB iBook G4, and while it isn't without beachballing :rolleyes: it isn't really worse in Tiger than Panther.

i agree, it isnt as bad or worse than tiger. in fact, it's a hell of a lot better.

seems it's just a few apps that are lagging behind!

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
mkrishnan said:

How do you reupdate prebindinigs? i never heard of such a thing

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I've noticed that with Tiger and iLife 05, I've been getting crazy amounts of beach balls in iPhoto, and it's actually crashed a few times!
Is anyone else having this problem, or is just my iPhoto being buggy?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
At the terminal prompt, type:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

With no other applications running. Reboot right after.

Pre-bindings are associations between library files and program files, as I understand them. They allow external APIs to be made more quickly. This is what is done when software update tells you that it is "optimizing system performance," but in cases of unusual slow performance, it's always a good thing to put on the list of stuff to try, and it is not harmful.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
I got some beachballs today...ones that completely locked up the system. What was I trying to do? Eject a CD from the internal drive. Locked everything up twice until I had to physically force eject the CD from the drive....Fun, huh? I knew I should've waited to install Tiger until 10.4.1!

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
Interesting read, im running tiger on the ibook in my sig and the only time i had a beach ball was opening a large photoshop file. iPhoto safari and the other problem apps work fine for me. safari is especially fast now when opening. but to be fair ive had maybe 4 open tabs at once and only have about 1200 or so photos in iphoto 4.

QFace

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2003
Calgary, AB
Far Less Stable

Tiger has been far less stable for me...
My powerbook never froze under panther... it's frozen TWICE tonight, and Apple Option Esc wouldn't work. I had to force shut down the computer. Tiger just does not work well with Airtunes... iTunes takes forever to connect to my speakers. Switching songs froze up my entire system. My system also froze up when I was switching from iTunes to the finder. Dashboard has also significantly slowed down. I've very disappointed, and confused. I initially had no problems with stability when I first installed Tiger, but now problems are starting to arise.
Worst of all, my computer froze up when my friends and I were having a Spice Girls dance party (don’t judge, I know you’re all jealous). I was very sad to here the comment, “My windows XP machine has never frozen” from my friend. So much for convincing them OS X is more stable! Fortunately, my iPod kept the good times rolling, but with my laptop crashing, I definitely died a little inside.

Antares_x

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
In my case... everything is working fine except for a very anoying thing... i'm having video problems... i have a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 with 512Mb in ram.. and the first time i made an upgrade and it was horrible the startup screen seemed like a tv with bad reception... so i decide to go for a complete instalation and archiving old system files... and it got better... but it hangs when i use any video demanding aplication like starry night pro 5 heck even iDVD.. las thing i tried was nanosaur and also had video problems... and when it hangs it forces me to restart and the report says something like this:
Binary Images Description:
0x1000 - 0x311fff com.apple.iDVD 5.0.1 (626) /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/MacOS/iDVD
0x775000 - 0x780fff com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskLib 1.4.0 /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SCSITaskLib
0x4597000 - 0x4695fff GLEngine /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
0x46c3000 - 0x47c7fff com.apple.GeForceFXGLDriver 1.4.0 (4.0.0) /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceFXGLDriver
0x47e3000 - 0x47fcfff GLDriver /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLDriver.bundle/GLDriver
0x4802000 - 0x4822fff GLRendererFloat /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat
0x4830000 - 0x4847fff com.apple.oxygene.datadefcontroller 2.0.0 (487) /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/PlugIns/DataDefController.oxygene/Contents/MacOS/DataDefController

it says a lot more but for you to have an idea... any one having this kind of problem???

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
katie ta achoo said:
I've noticed that with Tiger and iLife 05, I've been getting crazy amounts of beach balls in iPhoto, and it's actually crashed a few times!
Is anyone else having this problem, or is just my iPhoto being buggy?

I solved my iPhoto beach ball and speed problems by emptying its trash (under file menu). I never knew deleted photos went to its own trash and require deletion via iPhoto. I deleted 840 photos from the trash and it flies again.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
crazytom said:
I got some beachballs today...ones that completely locked up the system. What was I trying to do? Eject a CD from the internal drive. Locked everything up twice until I had to physically force eject the CD from the drive....Fun, huh? I knew I should've waited to install Tiger until 10.4.1!

Rumor has it that 10.4.1 has been seeded to developers.

Applespider

macrumors G4
rdowns said:
I never knew deleted photos went to its own trash and require deletion via iPhoto. I deleted 840 photos from the trash and it flies again.

Nor did I. iPhoto for me only got slow when I'd been working steadily through a few hundred images in a session. But the size of the iPhoto library was concerning me. It seemed way too big for just having 'originals' handy. Then I discovered 5500 images in the iPhoto trash... :eek:

iPhoto is much faster now!

On the Safari beachball front, try changing the Autofill preferences. Keep your details and username/passwords and turn off/empty Other Forms. Before I increased my RAM, this helped a lot for me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
LOL, I just very recently became aware of iPhoto's trash too! :eek: In the past couple days of playing with my Digital Rebel, I accumulated more than 100 new trash photos, in addition to all the old ones. I found out about the trash quite accidentally by hitting the wrong keyboard shortcut, trying to find the one that launches the external editor. :rolleyes: Of course, in hindsight, not only is the trash bin right there below my albums, but it has the number of photos in it, in parantheses, next to it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
rdowns said:
I solved my iPhoto beach ball and speed problems by emptying its trash (under file menu). I never knew deleted photos went to its own trash and require deletion via iPhoto. I deleted 840 photos from the trash and it flies again.

I just noticed that it was there about an hour after I posted. It really made it faster, back to the speeds I know and love.
Haha, can you tell I'm new to iLife '05?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
katie ta achoo said:
I just noticed that it was there about an hour after I posted. It really made it faster, back to the speeds I know and love.
Haha, can you tell I'm new to iLife '05?
You won a powerbook at the premiere? Dang...and I thought winning an iPod Shuffle today from work was cool....

So...that quote didn't quote your sig...but that's what I was looking to quote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.